Daft question but Ive got to ask - Im new to frozen food!!

S

sarah

Hi, Im thinking about getting some frozen bloodworm, but Ive never used frozen stuff before and i know this is probably the most stupidest thing to ask but what do you do with it? I mean you obviously keep them in freezer but when you go to give it as food do you just drop it in like an ice cube or do you let it melt a bit or do you smash it up so its like a slush? It for an Axolotl whos off his food at the min and Im hoping these might encourage him to eat. (and I might try my newts with some when i get them)
Can someone please tell what to do!!!!!}

I use frozen blood worms and put the frozen cube into a small cup with some dechlorinated water or tank water. Once defrosted I stir them around a bit to rinse them, then drain off the "dirty" water. I then add some more water, but just enough to cover the defrosted worms. I then suck them up with a big "eye dropper" (like the ones they sell at the chemist or drug store for giving medicine to babies - about 40ml capacity I think) If done slowly, you can then dispense the blood worms in a fairly tidy manner onto the bottom of the tank or "rain" them down just in front of your axies mouth. Hopefully then he will snap them up!

Bloodworms can be quite messy axolotl food, but with a little common sense you won't end up having to vaccuum the entire tank afterwards. I cheat a little by turning the filter off for the 10 mins or so it takes my axies to eat dinner. The lack of current helps the worms stay in one place long enough to be eaten.

I used to put my two axies into smaller individual containers of tank water with the blood worms so as to not make a big mess in their tank and then pop them back after dinner. But now that I have FOUR axolotls it became a bit of a drama to do that all the time. And some axolotls don't really like being moved around much so if your little man is already off his food probably best to try feeding him in the tank for now.

Now, I don't know much about newts but I would say that as long as the bloodworms are defrosted and rinsed in dechlorinated water, then drained off, they should be fine as newt food.

GOODUCK
wink.gif

ya I think for the first 2 days you should put the axies in a seperate container when feeding them blood worms because some blood worms are hard to find especially when they fall into the gravel....so put them in a different container so they get used to the blood worms then you could start feeding them in the main tank...GoOd LuCk
rofl.gif

i fed my 2 on bloodworms when they were wee babes- they loved them. Used to take a cube out of the freezer and leave it for a while- even thaw in the fridge for the day and fed wee chunks to them- one of them liked nipping them from the top of the tank- the other "clever" axie would scoop them up when i dropped them onto a little feeding dish at the bottom of the tank- they are too messy floating around otherwise! in hindsight i think feeding at the very top of the tank was bad for my little guy- he would gobble up air and wasn't able to sink for months!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back