Best way to clean tank?

T

tom

I never realised axies produced so much waste! However i am ensure on getting rid of it. i am using a large pipet, like what you get it chemistry sets, but it just isnt efficent to get up all the particles. can anyone suggest a good way to effectivley remove wate particles?

A turkey baster is great for spot cleaning

Speaking of which- how do people remove those big axie poos? i made the mistake of trying to suck one in my wonderfulturkey baster but it disintegrated into the water causing major pollution- what a mess!

The problem is my axie is so active
happy.gif
she churns up the water so the poo is always in particles. Whats the best way to get rid of particles?

yes aren't they messy beasts?- i need a bigger tank which i think would help too- i am always "hoovering" their house and discovering hidden poos.

Can anyone tell me about siphons? I have heard they are used for cleaning but are they ok for axies?

Siphons are like big, continuous action turkey basters. Basically they're an aquatic vacuum for your substrate. They're simply a plastic tube with a hose attached to the end. The hose goes in a bucket, and the tube goes through the water. Anyone with substrate in their tank needs to siphon often.

Here's a good page on siphons http://leesaqpet.com/downloads/pdf/06_COLOR%20CAT_07.04.pdf

Tom, does your tank have a filter? A good filter should take care of the particles that float around. Then you just have to keep the filter cleaned out and do spot cleaning. In addition, you should also have a siphon, it's the best tool for doing the recommended water changes (10-20% per week, more during the first few months).

Another question is how many axies do you have, and how large of a tank? Obviously, waste is a bigger problem in a smaller tank.

I have one axie and she is in a tank 60 by 30 cm.
I do have a filter but alot of particles get stuck in the substrate.

What substrate do you have? You can use a combination of turkey baster and siphon. Turkey baster for spot cleaning and siphon on weekly basis picks up those bits that get stuck in around substrate/decos.

I have her on white river rock. I have just bought an electric cleaner called the 'aqua vac' which works well.

i found at walmart in the kerosene heater section a battery [2d] powered siphon it has a tiny wheel in the bottom and it picks up spent leaves and poo and left over food it draws the water out too but i like it for particial water changes and it works to fill it again rather then poring in water the dumb thing was only 4.00 but its supposed to be for kerosene heaters it works great with water the end is so small my axies like to get over to see its not powerful enough to bother them our hardware store had them too in the kerosene section

Do you need anything else than the siphon? and can I use a small one for a tank without substrate?

Thanks
Blaze

Hi!!

I think cleaning routine is something you have to ajust and discover by yourself, watching how clean your
tank stays and for how long.

I would really recomend you a siphon, even if you have a bare tank. If you dont have one, I guess you
would do water changes taking water out with a glass or a little bucket? The siphon will take out the water and waste, as you can siphon areas of your choice.

Im a bit of a maniac about cleaning routine.
For poo, if it is fresh, I take it out with a plastic fork and a little net. If it isnt, the turkey baster works just fine.

In cleaning time, I take out my axies and turn on a little pump to help the filter take some particles I was unable to take out with the siphon. I let the water run for a while, and then clean the filter sponge with tank´s water.

I hope this helps

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back