Trout pellets - are they ok as axie food ??

K

karen

Hi guys

I heard salmon pellets were ok but couldn't find any. my local bait shop suggested trout pellets instead.

Are these ok for axies to eat ?

I gave him one to eat and it disappeared pretty fast so presumably he ate it. But before I give him any more I want to check how healthy they are for him ... yes i know i should have probably checked BEFORE I gave him one !!

Thanks !

Hmmm, they are probably roughly the same as axie pellets but just lower in protein.
sick.gif

If they are typical trout chow then they are okay to feed to the axololt but it is typically recommended to not feed them in small enclosures due to the oil content as it will foul the water. These pellets will sink and break apart if not eaten.

These products are typically high in protien ( 35-41%) depending on what the pellet is made for (type and age of fish)

re pellets- i bought some floating pellets for when we went away for a few days, but they are too frustrating for the axies - they snap and miss. My concern is that the pellets are quite hard- do others soak them first?. THey seem to be uncomfortable for them to swallow.

Karen, I have seen two types of axie pellet at our petshops here and they're both hard.

Mary, I've never soaked them they do eventually drop, but I find that only a few of our axies will eat them (and not always guaranteed!) Now I only really feed pellets, alternating with other food, if any of our axies are recuperating after a stint in the fridge, and in their small container. That way they are more inclined to snap at and grab the pellet.

Hi Kapo

These ones are pretty soft - they seem a little oily which is what worried me a little - but there is no info on the bag that I could see - although I will check again when I go back inh. For now the guy just gave me a handful in a bag to try him on rather than let me buy the whole lot and he can't / won't eat them. Thye seem failry soft though - and he seems to like them !

I will probably save for treats though just in case ...

Sounds a bit like what Ed mentioned above. I don't know/nor have seen any of that sort here but then haven't been to the bigger aquarium/petshops in my area - so they may sell something similar. Just check back at the baitshop and ask the guy if he can show you a list of the ingredients (bound to have something on side of packet/container)! Sorry can't be of much help!

Yeah i will - thanks :)

I aslo got my worms from there - seems like it's more the local fishbait shop than aquarium shops for axie food ! :).

Thye had big bags of food pellets for each kind of fish and when |i asked for trout he said they didn't do them but that trout was very similar.

can anyone advise what the ideal nutrient breakdown is ?

PS - if they work out as ak ok food saource they would be a pretty cheap food source - only £3 for a HUGE bag !

Yeah thanks I read this one Jennie - but didn't see any reference to trout pellets - this thread seemed to just refer to the actual labeled axie pellets. These ones make no mention of being for axies so i thought maybe I should ask on another thread ....

Hard food pellets for axies? And pet stores sell them? Yikes I couldn't do that to my axies. I feel like it would hurt them. They either get worms (earth and blackworms for treat), soft salmon pellets from Kentucky University (Indiana doesn't distribute anymore, they moved), or softened tubifex protein cubes soaked in their water.

Spoiled? Maybe. lol...

Genevieve ,you shouldn´t soak the tubifex cube into axies tank cause it will make your water to go bad, put them in a small plate and then with tweezers feed your axies.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back