My new axie so active, while my albino just stands there

J

jade.

i had recently got an albino axolotl and he was never really playful or active, and i just bought a new dark-wild type axolotl (thats alot bigger then him, he looked smaller in the pet shop tank -_-)

anyway my albino is still young and is around 12cm, and isnt very active, while my new axolotl is around 17cm and is playful, he swims around the tank all day and thinks that he can go through the glass (hes always trying to swim through the glass XD)

and they also never fight! thank goodness for that!

so, what is wrong with my albino? is it just the way he is or is it something else?

(Message edited by taelliejade on April 25, 2006)

Your wildtype is probably more active because it is settling in. It would have been better if you had quarantined him from your albino, just in case he has something and passes it on. Just keep an eye on your albino in case he develops something/looks ill. I have seen so many threads on this site of other owners either adding fish or new axies without quarantining them and then finding their original axie/s have get fungus/parasites or ill. As for your albino maybe he is just settled in to his environment. Also, our 3yr olds, 28-30cm, were quite active when we first got them earlier in the year compared to our then juvie 15cm axies (now 19cm!). They are now just as inactive, apart from feeding time, as the rest but still as fascinating to us as the first time we got them!

We had the same thing. My partner got 2 at the same time, one albino and one wildtype (same age). Ot was the other way round though as the wildtype just hit in her cave all day while the pink albino guy spent the day zooming around the tank, right up until he was an adult (tank size etc was fine he was just generally more active i think).

The baby i have got is also pretty quiet, so I am looking for a bit more of a livlier one this time. I am slightly concerned though that lively can sometimes mean ill / stressed. the pet shop I went to not long ago had 3 really sweet livey ones. the next week they were all dead :-(

I think they just have different personalities.I have noticed that with my axies. Axelina is always really active and energetic (apart from when she is ill or sleeping!!), whereas Rosie much more quiet. It's just like with us people, some of us are more energetic, while others prefer staying in watching tv. I wouldn't worry
happy.gif

i have noticed that they hit swimming stages, at around 10cm my albino hit the swimming stage and hes slowed down now hes about 13 or so but when they hit about 20 ive had some of my larger ones start up again, pretty wierd but its just something ive noticed as i was pretty freaked when it kept happening but nothing seemed to be wrong and theyre all alive still
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back