What to give the axies when i am away?

M

mary

Help!!! we are going away for easter break- prob 3 nights- I am stressing about my 2 "teenage" axies.I can't leave them with anyone and can't get anyone to come in and don't want to take them on a 1 hour trip. Bought some floating pellets but they are used to having their food waggled in front of them.I hate to do it but should i get some poor little fish- and if so what would i get and how many- eeek!!!!
errr.gif

Mary, don't worry. Your teenage axies will be perfectly well without food for 3 nights.

Yeh, im with Sherri.
Dont stress too much about it.

Axies can go quite a while without food.
You may feel bad about it all, but honestly, they will be fine
happy.gif

Have a nice holiday!!!

yes i wondered about that- will do- this is probably really bad but i bought some floating pellets and am trying to "train' them to seat them. Prob is they don't see them unless i waggle their feeding stick beside them and when they do snap at the pellet they often miss!

The only problem with leaving earth worms in there is that they burrow under the substrate.

mine burrow but eventually come back up - usually at night - and as soon as they poke even a cm out he snaps them up.

We tried pellets with my opartners 2 and they took no interest whatsoever - i might try mine on them thiugh if i can get hold of some different ones - these ones just floated so they didnt even notice them !

Anyway I think leaving some worms is your best bet - just make sure there isn't TOO much space for them to hide - but like i said i sometimes put a few extra in and they always get snifffed out if he is hungry enough - ha ha !

just to let you know that the kids made it- definitely skinnier tums and murkey water. not my ideal to leave them. goodness knows what to do at christmas- will have to leave them with someone. wonder if vets take axies?!!

Mary, I think most of us have a dedicated 'herp-sitter'. If I'm going to be gone for more than a week, I notify the herp-sitter. I'm going to be gone all summer (to Canada, eh?), so I actually had to move all my animals to the herp-sitter's house (2 weeks ahead of time, so I can deal with any problems that arise). It was quite a hassle moving 7 tanks, but all seem to be doing well.

when I leave my axies for more than 5 days I put in there some live food that I breed like daphnias blood or black worms.This will satisfy their hunger when I´m away, but only for the litle one´s cause the adults they have been like a entire month and a half without food, but at the momment I also have small guys and they tend to eat a lot, I have 8 adults 6 younger ones and 10 babies but already with all of their limbs...I´m going crazy, of course not counting with other species...

Well, first all the tanks are drained down to a few inches (with lots of siphoning and bucket-emptying). Then all the animals are put into little plastic food storage containers, and put into a pre-chilled cooler (or eskie, I think is what you south-hemispherers call 'em).

Then you drive like mad to get to the new place and work all night to get the tanks back up and running. You run all your filters and tanks for at least 12 hours to remove any dissolved gasses, float your plastic storage tubs to acclimate your animals and dump them in. I moved one 55 gallon tank, one 40 gallon long, three 20 gallon longs (one terrestrial, two aquatic), two 10 gallon tanks (one terrestrial, one not in use), and various 'critter keeper' tubs.

my goodness!! sounds epic- you have it down to a fine art tho? i guess anything is poss when its necessary!

Epic... Good way to describe it. Fine art? No, but I managed to not kill anyone, even the ill Taricha.

love to have seen you zooming mid "flight" with a van full of tanks and axies!!!

axolotls will survive a while without food but if you are going away for a long time i put live food in(water bettles, dragon fly nymphis, small snails and tadpoles)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back