New axolotls

tony

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Anthony mcgill
hello there. I have just returned from my lfs were a lady was handing over 2 unwanted axolotls. having had recently experienced a rescue for lots of these little charachters I decided to grab them quickly and take them home with me, tut tut tut, said I would never keep one, any how, I have all the equipment i need plus the general knowledge needed to keep them healthy, BUT, i was wondering if i could maybe put them in my pond with my goldfish? the gold fish are too big to be eaten. either way, pond or tank, is fine by me cheers

No, goldfish are VERY dirty (lots of ammonia), and can be gill-nibblers. Tank is the best way to go.

thanks joan, have already set the tank up as I figured that would be the answer. just waiting for tank temp to be the same as the water that they are in before i add them. hope they will be ok going straight into declorinated tap water.

No, they won't be ok going straight into dechlorinated tap water - you'll need to cycle the aquarium properly before you put them in there.

Read:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cyclingEDK.shtml
and
http://axolotl.org/requirements.htm
and
http://axolotl.org/housing.htm
happy.gif

well unfortunatly it was that or they went into a heated aquarium at my lfs, neither was probably suitable but i think mine was the better option, the only other option was the pond!

plus. I am fully aware of the cycle as i have i4 fish tanks full of fish, the only problem i have with using the water from the fish tanks is that they are cichlids and my ph levels are high. some suggestions would be nice rather than just a load of NO's.

The links WERE the suggestions
happy.gif
I figured someone would rather read it for themself than have a bunch of people repeat the same advice - I wasn't trying to be rude
happy.gif

sorry budd. its just that i know what should have been done in the way of cycling the tank, but due to the circumstances of obtaining these axolotls I was unable to do that, so in my mind, I would like to know whats the best measure of treatment for these creatures, knowing the fact that they have gone straight into declorinated water. the sites you suggested were great, infact I had read them before you suggested them, but I dont recall reading anything about emergency circumstances. as it happens the critters seem fine so far and have taken to there new home, its only a plane tank with sand and lots of bogwood, sponge filter and air pump. I am sure they will be just fine with regular water changes while the tank is cycling. cheers.
happy.gif

Tony, cycling is a big issue here, but I've found that if you're a good keeper, and are on top of your water quality, cycling is not a MUST HAVE. But for new keepers, it's HIGHLY recommended.

Going into dechlor water is fine, as long as it's the appropriate temperature, and you do appropriate water changes when the levels creep up.

thanks all, I do like to think I am a keen fish keeper, I do regular water tests and I keep on top of my tank maintenance. I would imagine that apart from food and maybe treatments, that keeping these axolotles are similar to keeping fish. they appear to be fine and they were swimming around last night exploring there new home, I also fed them some cockles and mussels and they really enjoyed it. my only concern last night was that with the central heating on the temperature rose to 24c.

yeah, bit high for them, can you just bundle yourself up and turn the heating down a bit? maybe moving them to a cooler part of the house if possible?

as long as they are in dechlorinated water they are fine however you would want to cycle your tank so just do water changes often, about 20-30% every 2-3 days depending on your readings and that will keep them happy, it might take longer that way but its worth having a cycle tank thats for sure
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back