How often to feed juvies..

M

mary

Hi there, just wondering how often other people feed their teenage axies? Mine are around 6 months old.. they seem to always be hungry but are fed once a day now.. at once stage i was feeding them heaps! i kinda of go by the size of their tums too. We might go away for a few nights and i am not sure what to do. DO others use dried food that just floats for them?

We feed ours every 2nd/3rd night, our juvies are about 7mths now. Ours wont go for dried floaty food, even pellets are sometimes ignored. Once we didn't feed them for four nights, as hubby thought I had and vice versa, so they were certainly ravenous when we finally fed them but they didn't look skinny!

depends on the size, ive got a bubba only 8-10cm or so and he gets fed every day, enough to make his tum look nicely rounded. my ones over 20cm get fed every 2-3 days.

id give em a good feed just before you go, leave a few pellets for them and dont worry, axies can go a long time without food, if your really worried get a friend to come over and pop in your measured out food.

hey its a pity you guys aren't closer- i need an axie boarding "kennel"!

Hi Mary I have a home pet care business where I visit peoples pets in their homes when they go away, hopefully you can find a nice petsitter in your area, just make sure you check them out on the phone first to make sure they are friendly and check their business is registered on the net and shop around as prices vary. Then when they come to visit show them the tank etc, write instructions very clearly and provide a mobile # and tell them to ph you if any probs no matter how small or even better ph them daily. Good Luck Helen

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back