Feeding baby axolotls

C

chicken

I just got my baby axolotls, just 2 days old.

How can i feed them? A whole tubifex is too big in size and when i cut it into 3 or 4 parts, they won't eat them.

I also tried dried artemias, those they also don't eat.

I'm worrying about they will die soon if they don't eat.

hi there, i got my axolotls when they were about 4 weeks old- so older than yours.
I fed mine frozen blood worms- about 1/4 cube for the 2 per day initially.... now they are so hungry i don't do the blood worms anymore- too small!!

tubifex isnt the most nutritious compared to other foods and if its not frozen/freeze dried its a great source of nasties.

frozen blood worm, minced up black worm, freshly hatched brine shrimp (die in fresh water)or daphnia (fresh water so will be quite happy swimming round till they get snapped up)are some good options. they need food available at all times at that age with water changes daily. it would be best to get the daphnia from a healthy culture, not the wild as that might introduce some bugs that can hurt your babies. good luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back