Ghost shrimp as food

T

teesha

hey all, im from down under (aus) and i know these little fellas make great tank mates, but are they nutrisous? does anyone know how to breed them, or a cheap place to order/get them from. I asked pets paradise and they cost 10 bucks each down here!!! and its just too much!!!
What else can u feed axies as a staple other than worms that is easy ( not wrigglers...theyre ekkie and they might breed in my house!!...are crickets that bad as a staple??)....does anyone know where i can get worms from?? (Apart from my dry arid garden!!!!)

Ghost shrimp are a lot cheaper here. about .25
at walmart or petsmart.

we have a magnetmart here that sells worms for $12 a container. I think there are about 100 (from memory)

Teesha - your local fish store or petstore should have the pisces brand worms/crickets/etc.
Earthworms come in a little tub with soil, loads of them there for 7-9 dollars.
Blackworms come in a squeezy pack (like ribena squeezy) and theres a fair few there (dpending on how much you use, and they are alive so you need to use them in a week or so) for about $4
Mealworms aren't really recommended as they can turn evil
And you can get crickets as well from them
happy.gif

enjoy

thanx, i have seen bloodworms, black, and crickets, but not worms as of yet!

Ask them then! Seems that a lot of the stores are having issues getting hold of them at the moment
happy.gif

i will ask! I was thinking of buying a few ghost shrimp and breeding them to appropriate numbers to feed themoff slowly-basically so i get my moneys worth and have many meals for my guy(when i get him!) Is the likelyness of them breeding like mice possible so i can feed their baies to my axies???? or should i give up on the ghost shrimp???

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back