Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Food for kiwi axies

M

mary

Hi there folks, just wondered what delicious morsels other kiwis feed their axies? mine are now about 6 months old so i guess that puts them in the juvenile ranks? I definitely still feed them once daily tho' i think they would eat constantly. We are going away for a few days over easter and i am stressing about what to do. Will have to take them to a friends house- couldn't risk leaving them unfed for a whole day!

J

joão

Or you could buy some live food like live blood or black worms or even daphnia and leave it in their tank. they would be ok for a week or so.

S

sharn

i feed mine the 'frozen axie tucker' which you can get from most LFS along with the odd pellet (theyre pretty <font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font> pellets so i dont feed them often), worms if they feel like taking them that day and sometimes bits of shrimp for treats.

we dont get live bloodworm over here as far as i know, daphnia is hard to come by but if you know people with farms go and have a look in their troughs, not hard to culture once you get em just darn hard to find! i havent been looking for blackworms so dont know if we have them either but id think we would.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1