Chicken hearts?

A

alex

can i feed my axies chicken hearts?. i saw them in the shop so i bought some but im not to sure if i can feed them to my axies.

You can feed them heart and liver. But a lot of people on here will warn you of two things - that mammals don't form a part of their diet in the wild, so logic says its not the best.
The main warning though will be the risk of exposing your axie to other diseases or parasites that might be in the meat.

I feed mine chicken heart cut into worm like strips,but only on occasion,and only a small amount.And cut off any white bits.As long as worms are the main part of their diet it should be ok as a treat.

snip "that mammals don't form a part of their diet in the wild, so logic says its not the best. endsnip

This is a popular comment that has continually circulated through a number of web pages and forums with very little supporting evidence. The problem is not due to the food item but with the frequency at which it is fed. This is a calorically denser food item and it is easier for people to overfeed..

snip "The main warning though will be the risk of exposing your axie to other diseases or parasites that might be in the meat" endsnip

Okay this statement bothers me to no end as unless you feed a pelleted food item, then whenever you feed live food items you are exposing them to parasites and diseases such as coccidia, chytrid, and nematodes......

Ed

would salmonalla (sp) be a possibility cause its not cooked? would cooking it beneift in any way?

It would depend on the serotype of salmonella as salmonella can be a normal commensual in the intestional fauna of axolotls..

Ed

Ed - there was a reason why I said that what i stated was what people would say, and what they would warn about. I've got a similar thinking to you on the mater Ed ;)

Hi Alex,

Serotype snip A subdivision of a species of microorganism, eg, a bacteria, based upon its particular antigens." endsnip. Depending on the serotype, some can infect and cause disease in the host animal or in other animals (including people). That said, salamonella is a normal part fo the bacterial population in reptiles and amphibians and typically doesn't cause diseases in these animals.

Hi Charlie,

No problem, I'm just trying to keep it from getting out of hand again....

Ed

so basically they already have some in their guts? so if they ate chicken with it it wouldnt make them sick or would it cause there would be a increase in the amount?

Yes they more than likely already have some in thier gut. It is very unlikely to make them sick (as there are hundreds of serotypes known to date) but it could make you sick if you accidently ingest any...

Ed

Ed, does that mean that one could contract salmonella from handling axolotls? Would it be present in their tank water?

Yes and yes. The salmonella would be shed with the axolotls feces. Wash your hands and do not dispose of tank water into sinks that people use for hand washing, dish washing or food prep. Pour it down the toilet or outside.

Ed

WOW. I had no idea. }

Should we be doing this with newt-tank water as well? Do they harbor salmonella as well, or other things (other than thier toxins, of which I am aware)?

Eek,now I'm freaking,I have on occasion tipped my axie water down the kitchen sink,being the closest to my tank,although lately I have used the laundry as I don't like axie water smells.And,just to add to my freaking,my partner and I have had unexplained sickness lately...Thanks for the advice there Ed!
lame.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back