Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How do you feed frozen brine shrimp

S

stipe

Ok i bought a packet of frozen brien shrimp today to see if my axies would eat them. WHen the cub hits the water is seperates into 100's of little brine shrimp and make a big mess. So how you you feed it?

SInce it broke up so much i though my fish woudl like it and when i put a cube in they chased all the floating shrimp and ate them all up, so at least they can eat them and they wont go to waste.

Any suggestions?

S

sharn

hmmm... a huge rock underneath to catch them all? either that or put the cube into a small container with a bit of water and strain them out, mush em together and hope the cube stays intact?

not sure if you can re-freeze them but if you can (wait till someone else chirps in on this one) strain them out and mix them with gelatine and re-freeze. it doesnt taste like anything and as far as i know wont do anything to them.

R

rheann

Get a soy sauce dish, it will work to hold the little shrimp in place for your axies to eat
happy.gif

If you have an asian market near by, they usually have them, or you can use a terra cotta pot. They have some dish shaped ones that are rather small too.

jessica

Reaction score
I feed my little axolotl frozen brine shrimp. All I do is chop off a piece of the cube and then hold it in tweezers in front of his face and he grabs it. This method might take quite awhile for a larger axolotl though, since they eat a lot more than my baby.

B

beech

Easy peasy. Let it defrost.
Sink a small bowl or clean plastic lid.
Pick up the shrimps and pop it into the bowl.
Brineshrimp stays in bowl - axolotl will climb in. That's what Ziggy does
happy.gif

A

alex

yeah i agree with the putting it in a small dish method. works for me.

C

charlie

I'm using something similar with my bowl feeding of my axies. I defrost the blood worms I'm using (different food, similar problem) in a shot glass with a tiny bit of water, then carefully full it up and cover it with my fingers as I put it in the tank and pour them into a little pottery feeding bowl
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!