Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Polished stones

M

mary

Hi there, just wondering if anyone would put polished stones in their axie tank- or whether this means they could be toxic in some way. I want to remove my other smaller stones- too hard for cleaning. For Kiwis- the polished stones come from the warehouse or the good ole $2 shop.

S

skylar

You can buy polished stones from most LFS's, so I think they'd be quite safe. Though they are fine for fish, I don't think I'd use them for axolotls as they might not be able to get a good grip on them.

M

mary

I was wondering about putting some bigger river stones in their tank instead but then i don't know if the will introduce something toxic- how do you clean something like that before it goes in the tank?

A

alex

i think you should boil it but dont bake them coz i think there have been cases of them exploading!?!. yea just boil it and wash it really well.

E

edward

Or you could simply scrub them and soak them in a 10% bleach solution, rinse and soak in some dechlorinator and air dry.

Ed

J

joanne

Wouldn't the lack of grip be the same on river stones as polished stones?

S

skylar

No I don't think so? Polished stones have sort of a glassy finish, whereas river stones dont, they are just smooth

A

apryl

I have the $2 shop polished river stones in my tank,have had for ages,never had a problem.I just soaked them in a Masterpet steriliser and rinsed them before soaking them in dechlorinated water.Are these are the ones you mean Mary?
54013.jpg

Woah,that is such an old pic!!lol,no Diablo and not many plants.

M

mary

My what a fine house! yes that is them!
is that a handsome axie posing in the foreground? i love that trunk cave- where did you find that?
It is taking me nights to remove layers of the darn tank "pebbles" i bought at animates when i got the babies. I am trying to do the transition very slowly.

A

apryl

Haha,yes Mary,that is Boris trying to get as close to the camera as possible,as always!!I got the log tunnel at Animalz in Johnsonville ages ago,I think they have a couple left,there are 2 sizes,mine is the bigger.I wouldn't worry about lack of grip on the stones either,they like that end more than the smaller stone end.Also,I hand feed my guys,so I never have trouble with food being lost between the gaps.Hope that helps
happy.gif

S

sin

LOL and here's me admiring nice looking rocks and missing the axie until mary pointed him out. doh!

A

apryl

Yeah,she's a cheshire axie,sometimes you only see her smile,lol.After all my talk about the stones,I've decided to look into some sand(pool filter stuff).Am getting some in next couple of weeks.I made the decision after seeing how well all the sand dwelling axies stand out.Will post pics in the gallery of the difference when it's done.Don't let me put anyone off river stones though,just think about colours.

M

mary

Hi there,
whoever said to me that they found all the goop got inbetween the bigger stones was sooo right. I causes a mini tsunami in the wee house today trying to extracate a poop that was wedged. I was going to have to find a pair of long handle tweezers i think! or ever the famous turkey baster!!

K

kate

Hi Mary

My tank had so much goop between the stones, I was so happy to get rid of them! Oh.. and the turkey baster is FABULOUS! Great for removing excess food and poop.

B

beech

Quick question - at what size does small gravel become safe enough to easily pass through the axolotl's system?
Big pebbles go gooey as you said, and sand is a pain to syphon - you end up sucking up sand and no muck. Hmm.
Mind you - the axo I look after eats out of a bowl, so his gravel is no problem, but I would like to set up my own tank.
(Having done all the work for the other little guy with setting up/cycling/nuring him to health because he was poorly when he arrived, I kind of got attached and miss him now he's with his owner)

Thanks!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!