Food

I don't think so, cos axies have really bad eyesight. So they wouldn't be able to see the fruit flies, as they are too small

Sherri, axolotls do not rely on sight to find food, more on their sense of smell and lateral line. I think it would be easier just to stick with feeding worms as a staple. Although I am not too sure on the nutritional content of fruit flies.

i think fruit flies are way to small. it would take you ages to full one axie up with fruit flies. like jarred said just stick with worms and pellets as a staple.

This begs me to tell a story...
talker.gif

I was raising fruit flies to feed many juvenile newts Notopthalmus and Cynops sp. I did it by the book and every 4 weeks started new cultures. The problem rose that these little buggers would escape my enclosures with every effort. I had larva of A. opacum in small deli cups on larger trays. The fruit flies would hop into the deli cups and drown. To my surprise, the A. opacum larva (1.5-2cm) would ferociously feed on them off the surface!!! The juveniles finally grew and started on small earth worms, so I fed the rest of the flies to the opacum larva. They eventually morphed and developed well. If you have small axolotls (larva/juveniles) they might surprise you!!!
frog.gif

hi i recently order my first batch of black worms from that aquaticfoods the first time i put them in the tank they changed the water a little pink i tried to rinse them before but they were falling all over the sink the second time i tried putting them in a plain tank with just the worms they did seem to be happy the worms werent getting lost in the rocks is it harmful to take them out and put them back i have two about 31/2 inches i let them eat together i didnt use a net they were fairly easy to just scoop i did make sure the water was the same actually i used the water i was pumping out to do a partial water change i tried reading a lot of threads i hope im not asking the obvious thank you fran

does anybody know where I can get soft salmon pellets in the UK in about a 1kg pack size?

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>alex d. wrote on Tuesday, 28 February, 2006 - 08:29 :</font>

" i think fruit flies are way to small. it would take you ages to full one axie up with fruit flies."<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

I got exactly the same impression. Large dendrobeanas are much easier to use.
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back