Freeze-dried versus Frozen

P

plush

Which is better when it comes to worms? Ie: easier to handle, feed, clean up, and has more nutritional value. Also, what are the pros and cons of each? The plush thanks all suggestions in advance.
smile.gif

I wouldn't bother with any freeze-dried worms. I recommend frozen bloodworms (preferably Hikari brand). But they can be a bit messy in the tank, and a bit small for adult axies. I recommend live earthworms. Beyond that, good quality carnivore pellets.

Im with Jennifer - live earthworms are the best.
Nothing to clean up (while feeding), no mess.
Easy to feed.

I suppose if you went with frozen, you can move the axie to a separate container/tank to eat, DEPENDING on the level of stress it causes your axie. Ive never done this, but some do.

Mine get beef heart, blood worms and brine shrimp, all frozen varieties. The blood worms and brine shrimp are very messy though so they eat them in a separate container. The also have Axolotl pellets and canned Meal Worms that I cut the heads off before feeding to them
lame.gif

The meal worms are ZOO MED'S brand. Any one else heard of them or feed them to their axies??

Any pros and cons of each? Like in a one-post list? Live is not an option. *shudders*

i buy piscies brand crickets and earthworms, but i hate to feed them live so when i get them home i gut load them for 2 days than freeze them and put them into smaller containers, when i feed my axies i just get out what they need give them about 1 minute to defrost then feed.

Thats a good idea Denise!
What about that Plush, could you use that method?

What does gut loading mean? Sorry English is not my native tongue.

Hmm, I guess I could try the worms then. How long do they last? Do they come in a small size so I don't have to cut them up? Also, do they sink or do they float?

It depends i think.
Some cut them, some dont. Its depends on the size of the worm.
I could never cut a worm
sad.gif
i just cant do it.
Nor have l had to - the worms l buy are just the right size.

Im not sure bout that worms over there (packaging size etc) so ill leave that to someone else, but either way.. they should last ages!
The worms sink, you'll have to hold them in front of your axies face (using tweazers, chopsticks etc).

i tried feeding my axies freeze-dried tubifex worms but i thing it bloated them. the blocks seem to be full of air. i do not advice feeing freeze-dried anything.

i did state in my post that i defrost the worms and crickets before i feed them. it would be a great idea to defrost most food before you feed. maybe the problem that you axie had alex is that you fed them the block when it was still frozen, i dont think and axie could digest frozen food, thats why it might have bloated them

denise i said that its freeze dried. they come like in blocks and you dont keep them in the freezer i dont think.

i didnt know there was a difference between freeze dried and freezing

Freeze dried doesnt need to be kept in the freezer.

Its too hard for me personally, to explain the difference Denise LOL but they are completely different.
Maybe someone with alittle more brain cells then me can explain LOL

the freeze dried ones are completly dry and dont need to be frozen. and the frozen ones are like really moist and yea...

SherriSixxx if i am not mistaken "gut loading" Is when they feed the animal to be fed very nutritious food, so that the animal who eats them will benefit from this.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back