Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fresh water shrimp/prawns

S

stipe

At my LPS they sell fresh water shrimp/prawns (some one correct me at what they are, shrimp or praws) at $1 each so their kinda cheap in my view. I bought 10 to be in his tank as scavengers and tank cycle m8's. Some died from teritorial fights and i fed them to squidy. Would they be a good staple along with worms. I was planning to feed like one week worms, one pellets, and one prawns and one small fish ( not live i mean dead from the fish market, they're fresh water fish). Would that be a good staple and are they nutritious.

S

sharn

shrimp, prawns are salt water i think. people feed those ghost shrimp to axies and fish. i would think they would be a good staple as long as they are disease free, i imagine axies in the wild would prey on that sort of thing. IMO your staples great, everynow and then you could chuck in mealworms/blackworms/beefheart as a treat also?

S

stipe

Oh thats what its called, ghost shrimp. Thx for clearing that up. Thats the type of shrimp i will be feeding him along with the other stuff. Thx for teh info and reply Sharn.

E

edward

The use of prawn to describe freshwater shrimp is a regionally correct usage.

Ed

S

stipe

Ok i want to know if they are as nutritious as worms. And when i feed them do i take of thier exo-skeleton. SO far i've fed two and when i did all i did was remove thier head and tail (they where already dead).

T

theresa

Most fish stores (aquatic) carry various kinds of shrimp in their tanks also.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1