Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Quality dog pellets as food?

C

charlie

Was chatting to a girl in a pet store about what to feed fish and yabbies. She recommended a quality dog food and has had good growth and health. This included oscars.

Any ideas on what an axie would think?

S

sharn

i think they axie would LOVE it but id say no.. just because dog food has alot of fat/oil in it which would lead to liver (is it liver?) problems. some people feed dog food to oscars/pacu etc, personally i dont like it as i try to mimic their natural diet as much as i can/ give them the best diet available if i cant get it natural. and oscars dont even eat that much meat in the wild, theyre insectivors, pacu are largly herbivors etc etc

dog food is specifically made for dogs, fish/axie food is specifically made for axies, but thats my opinion, no doubt there is other pet food out there that would contain the nutrition that a axie would require

al

Reaction score
I can not comment on the nutritional effects of dog kibble, but will say it may soil the water too much to be a benefit. Its properties will not allow it to sink and will break apart too quickly.

A

alex

i would definintly not feed dog food, just stick to axie food.

C

charlie

Easily done then!
Goldfish seem to love it, but my new axies (when I get them...) will not be trying it!

H

hayden

I remember hearing on forums about Albino Clawed Frogs enjoying Dog Food and that it was actually good for them. I never tried it though. I'd imagine there is healthy dog food with less fat and oils.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1