Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Aging? (and new axies)

N

natalie

Ive had my axie (speedy) for about 2 years and ten months and he is 23cm long (or just 9 inches) and he is pretty well fed. is there any kind of way i can estimate his age? because i dont know old he was when i got him, but i do remember he was about 15cm (6 inches) when i first got him

also, he has lived alone the entire time and ive just gotten another one and im a little wary of puttin them together in the same tank. this new fish is about 16cm (6.5 inches) but considerably skinnier and scrawnier than the first one. at the moment i have a piece of glass down the middle of the tank to seperate them because ive been told that axies can be a bit cannablisitic. so does anyone know when its a safe time to take the glass out? and does anyone know how old speedy might be?
thanks heaps and sorry about the length!!

jessica

Reaction score
hi Im not sure about the age, but mine was about 3-4 inches around maybe 4-6 months old i think, now he's 8-9 inches and is 2. he has been that big for about a year or a bit more. I just got another one too, sounds exactly the same, turned out to be female and less than a week later we have eggs!!!! Good Luck!

J

joan

Natalie, there's no way to be sure, but 6 inches is usually obtained between 6 months and a year.

I would keep the new one seperate until it has put on weight and you think it can fend for itself.

Also, next time, I would not put a new axolotl in with an existing tank until it has been quarantined for at least 30 days. Otherwise you run the risk of introducing disease into your new tank.

They are cannibalistic when they're young, but adults won't eat other adults (they're just too big to swallow).

N

natalie

well, i actually went away for 2 days over christmas and when i got back i went to check on them and the little one had somehow (amazingly) managed to wriggle through the partition and was snuggled up with my other axie! its been pretty much like that since so i think they must be best friends! thanks for the help tho!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1