Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

The film!!!

J

jeff

So my babies seem to be doing fine, but this film on the surface is hard to get rid of, any tricks to that except for water changes?

R

rheann

What type of film do you mean, Jeff? Is it sort of grayish with no texture, or is it sort of slimy?

It could be just dust that settled on the top, or possibly some algae.

Can you get a picture of it?

al

Reaction score
Are you talking about the film that occurs when the empty egg sacs break down? I've noticed this too and everything gets slimy and it is a pain, but doubt it is harmful. I would take absorbant paper towels and lay them on the surface and quickly remove them, or skim the surface with a net and lined with paper towel/coffee filters. I'm probably just being OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder), but I can relate!
proud.gif

J

jeff

it could be dust, its a solid matter layer, no slime yet.

T

theresa

Ah jeff.... I think it is the Puget Sound air!!! I too have the slime on top of my tank. i do partial water changes but that is not the answer. I now take a glass, put it level with the water, then lower the end of the glass and skim off the top of the water. All the slime rolls down into the glass . I also have it in my small betta tanks(5 gallon). They all have filters and water movement... it drove me crazy for awhile, now I just live with it. Some kind of protein film, not harmful. i've noticed it on the surface of some local fish store tanks too.
i can skim it off, and an hour later it is back!!
angry.gif

C

charlotte

yeah i had that too, i was wondering if it was the stress coat i was putting in there of if my axolotl was shedding it's skin.

lol al cadavero, ocd.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!