Getting rid of snails

M

monica

Is there any safe way of getting rid of snails? Any chemical you may add would hurt the axies, right? I'm afraid I'm going to have to hand pick them all out.
sad.gif

Hey Monica,

I posted a response in your axie tank thread in the gallery
happy.gif

Just keep picking them out each time you find them. This should help or at least thin their numbers so duckweed doesn't vanish as fast or as often.

Good luck
happy.gif

i posted in another thread too. turn the lights off for about half an hour and when you turn them on again there will be heaps on the glass

After I posted there, I thought "I should start another thread for this". It was getting rather long. ;) I will eventually get the hang of this forum thing.

The snails are small. They have a flat shell and well...I'm thinking of using a razor blade to pry them off of the side of the tank. The light thing worked btw. Thanks Sharn!
Here are some pics taken from this site:
http://www.applesnail.net/content/snails_various.php
49741.jpg
49742.jpg

You can buy snail traps, I've only ever seen them in one shop and I'm sorry but I can't remember who makes them but next time i'm over that way i'll have a look for you.

Snail traps...who'd a thought! I'll keep an eye out for them too. Thanks Si.

And as for scraping....more and more just keep showing up....they are taking over. lol. It's war.

I found a picture of the snail trap! Looks German! Made by Unizoo? There's probably other companys that make them too.

49928.jpg

the ones ive seen are like see through up side down bowls with little holes in them for the snails to climb in. you put food in and in the morning you go and collect them. im not sure how they dont get back out though

bad bad bad! its chemicals and will definatly hurt axies skins...

yea, id just scrap them of, definintly dont use chemicals though, unless www.axolotl.org reccomends them, because remember that axolotls absorb lots through there skin.

i got told the other day by some one to get a small Vegemite jar and make a hole big enough to fit ur snails, then boil some lettice and put that in and mt daily

The only way I have discoverd is to do 3 things. Remove all you can see. Then lower the water level down the newt day and wipe off all the egg clusters you can find. After that keep watchign the water line or do water changes and when doing so watch for the "snail jelly". Thats the only way I safly control the population.

Another way, blanch a slice of zuccini, put it in the tank at night,,,, next morning, snails are all over it. keep doing this till they ar gone, plus manually removing them. works in fish tanks also.

These are all great suggestion. I've done the jar thing and I'll definite try the zuchini. Sounds so simple! I've also been scraping them off. My duck weed is making a come back!
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back