Axolotl won't eat...

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Michael Shrom
I just got my axolotl today and its in the tank and it was sorta shy at first, then it was swimming around a bit. I tried to feed it some frozen bloodworms (read they were good on axolotl.org) and it sorta ignored them (they actually sank and hit it on the back and it did nothing). I tried to scoop them out of the aquarium so they didn't make a mess. I just went out and came back like 2 hours later and its just hiding inside a little cave thing. I tried once again with the bloodworms and again, it has no response to its presence...do some just not like certain foods or...? The paperwork from the store said live food, but axolotl.org recommended against this because of diseases...

edit - okay, it finally ate, but it still isn't swimming around too much. It sorta mopes around in the cave. Also, when I first got it, it looked like an albino. Now its colors are changing a little and its starting to look a little more like a wild type. (i ordered a wild type) But, I'm also afraid this means its sick..

(Message edited by rooster752 on December 31, 2005)

50934.jpg

ahh its cute! I think it needs a few days to adjust to its new home before you should be worried about its behavior. The color thing is odd but give it a day or too, it may have been stressed before, if it looked albino beacuse it is wild type for sure.

yip, my axolotl took about 2 days to adjust and then he started eating fine. thats not an albino.

thank you guys so much for reassuring me. He swims around every once in awhile but he's still pretty lazy. Also, his gills are sorta bent forward, not straight up. I thought I remembered reading this was bad news, but I can't find anything now.. any ideas?

if his gills are pointing forwed thats a sign of stress from too much water flow. is your filter very powerful?. if so you should make something so lessin the water flow and direct the flow against the glass to make it even less.
happy.gif

it can just be stress full stop, but i have one whos gills curl over and touch his head! thats because they are abnormally long though. you dont state what size he is but younger ones are alot more active, i find once they hit the 15cm mark they slow right down.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back