Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Are blackworms and bloodworms the same thing?

C

casey

I'm a bit confused.

I've been feeding my axies some "blackworms" (that's what the lfs calls them), which they love.

Are these the same as bloodworms, if not, which is better?

Does anyone know what nutritional value blackworms have?

J

john

No Casey,

Blackworms are alive, also they are black ie the name blackworms.

Bloodworms however are dead, best when frozen, and are bright red when fresh.

I have no idea where blackworms come from. But blood worms are fly larvae. look ike big masquito larvae. Here is a link

http://www.sfbb.com/frozen.asp#

look under the farthest row on the right, and the second in that road.

Dose an of this make sence?

~John

J

joan

Blackworms aren't really black. They're kind of reddish. In the US, you can't find live bloodworms, but you can find live blackworms and live tubifex. Between the 3 of these, pet shops usually have no idea what they are. So the simple way to discern everything is that: Blackworms are segmented (like little tiny earthworms), and as John said, bloodworms are fly larvae, and have really long segments (usually only 3 or 4 to a worm).

C

casey

Thanks for that - I thought they were different, but I just wanted to make sure.

So does anyone know the nutritional value of blackworms?

I'm guessing they're just as good as earthworms?

R

rheann

LOL People here at some pet shops sell live Black worms as bloodworms. Silly pet shops.

I buy frozen "real" blood worms at Petsmart here in town in little cubes. "real" blackworms creep me out so much that I can't bring my self to buy them!
errr.gif

They remind me of that scene in that Japanamation movie Princess Mononoke if anyone else has seen it where the giant boar was covered in wormy looking black and red blood that seemed to be alive... ewww and yuck!

J

joan

Blackworms have basically the same nutritional value as earthworms, but they're really small. My adults won't touch them, but the smallest of my newts eat them as a staple.

Rheann, you watch too much tv!

J

john

It depends on what you want to feed them to.. If it is full grown axies than, I wouldn't bother getting them. But if you are raising juvies, or even smaller larvae, than blackworms are a grate staple.

~John

N

natasha

I brought some yesterday and put them all in a bucket with a little of my axie water and sat her in there with them, she went crazy shoveling them up in her mouth. She has a fat belly today too. This is actually the first time I have fed them to her and might use them more often now I know she likes them. Bit of a change from the crickets.

E

echosaisis

omg hilarious I've seen princess mononoke and what you said made me smile inside
happy.gif

Go JPOP!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1