Live earth worms in perth

N

nina

i live in perth but i cant find any live earth worms!!!
evil.gif
theyre all in a can or something!... is their any other good staple food i can find in perth... is frozen krill okay for them?

Hi Nina,

Have you tried at a bait shop for Earthworms? They usually have them. If you have and they don't or don't have any bait shops, try frozen blood worms, live black worms, frozen brinshrimp, these things are good. I think the Krill might be ok, I am not sure on that though. I think it's about the same as brineshrimp.

I mean, if krill can sustain a hump back whale, I think it can sustain an Axolotl
happy.gif

No, I don't think you'll find them even in a bait shop. You can get worm farms from Bunnings for about 20 dollars but my axies don't really like them that much. That's all I've been able to find around here. You can get live crickets in Perth - my axies love them.

And Rheann, I just saw your avatar - looks great ( I haven't been here in a while
happy.gif
)

(Message edited by waltona on November 07, 2005)

Hey Thanks, Anne-Marie
happy.gif

Check out the Gallery. There is a picture of their that has all three of the Axolotls that I drew lol.

i must be spoilt in South Australia
happy.gif

i got the lot got 5 x aquarium shops within a 15 min drive and they sell most things axies like
happy.gif

one even does live brine shrimp but i havnt tried em yet cause not sure what to do with them ? + i like to hand feed my axies
also found salamanders for sale in one shop the other day, one little cutie iv'e got my eye on
happy.gif

$90 au though
sad.gif

Brine shrimp are usually too small to be noticed by adults, unless they have adult brine shrimp. I scoop 'em out, rinse 'em in fresh water, and dump 'em in. The biggest problem with brines is that they die in a couple hours in fresh water and can foul the water pretty quickly.

thx joan
think i'll give brines a miss then cause they looked pretty tiny

Yeah, no earthworms around here. My axie won't eat the worm farm ones either. Morley aquariums use to sell them but they stopped stocking them. Don't know if there are again have not called them lately. They had nice white looking ones as opposed to the reddy coloured ones in the farms. I have tried bait shops as well and no luck.

I stick with the crickets too.

Nina, I'm pretty sure Vanessa Joy (another site member) feeds her axies earthworms as a staple that she buys. We both live in Rockingham so there must be somewhere metro that sells em! I talk to her lots so if she doesn't see this thread, I'll try to find out for ya.

Because this place is stupid!! There are but I have only come across the type which they sell in a worm farm. Go to your local hardware store and buy a box of worms kind of thing. They are more red in colour and my axie won't have a bar of them.

You may be able to find some at your local nursery. Mine has some so that you can put them in new soil to make it richer for plants. Don't know how good they would be for an axie, but you could still try.

I just bought a compost system/worm farm. The worms in there look nice and fat, but they are red. B/c they aren't earthworms, are they still suitable to feed to axies?

I'm putting all my veggie scraps in there, including crushed eggshells - everything except meat and citrus fruits and onions. So I'm guessing that they'll have lots of nutrients for my axies.

I really hope they eat them - I don't want to have a compost bin full of worms with nothing to feed them to - then I'll have to take up fishing!

Axies will probably still eat them no matter what as they are a food source. The shoudl be full of nutrients if you do the veggie thing.

Casey, if the worms are grown, try and feed them a worm or two
happy.gif
See if that works. If it doesn't, I'll be your fishing buddy! lol.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back