How much food

J

jordan

Hello everyone. I was wondering how many worms i should feed my axolotl. He isn't very big probably 4-6 inches in length. He is soooo awesome. Does anyone know how many worms i should feed? Thank you all so very much! BY the way, his name is Quintus Decimus (Deci for short). I named him that because that means 15 in latin and i got him for my 15th birthday.

well theres no definate answer and its sort of hard to explain in writing lol. an axie about 15cm would proably munch down a few inches of worm a couple of times a week

Thanks, how much a day? Just like an inch a day? For like 3 days out of the week?

well at that size you could probably get away with feeding them every second day, a few inches at a time (depending on the thickness of the worm)

For my guies, it matter on wether or not they look hungery, ie raising their heads, otherwise i feed them every 3rd day as much as they can eat with turning into blimps...
rofl.gif

well my girl is a little skinny, i think i need to fatten her up.

i have one @ 7" and one about 6" and they are always
hungry, and not skinny i dont think, they seem to have gotten into a routine at around the same time each night they both just sit there staring at me lol until i give em some food, then go all hypo for a while, then go back to there normal spots
happy.gif

i'm trying to feed them every second day now
night b4 last they had a cube of bloodworm shared
"thats there favorite lol" and 1 live worm each cut in 1/2
is that about right ?

Jordan, at 4-6", you probably can't tell the sex yet. At that size, I fed about 2inches of worm 3 times a week. Just feed it until it looks slightly chubby. If it throws up bolus, then you fed too much, and then cut back a little the next time. Sometimes it can take them a little while to get their food down. That's fine.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back