Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Skinny Girls

H

hailz

Hi everyone i was just wondering what foods i could feed my girls that would "fatten" them up a bit, they are both really skinny, and both eat mostly earthworms and are fed every 2-3 days. They just look so skinny and sickly, everyones axies look nice a round. any suggestions?

A

apryl

I find when I give chicken heart they get fat,but I wouldnt just feed that,maybe a couple of strips each with worm?Good luck with the fattening,and dont look at my guys as a guide,they are podgy!! lol

J

john

How old are they and big, for my lil 1's I feed them earthworms bloodworms and other stuff.. For my older ones I feed just earthworms. Btw I feed them till they are stuffed.lol

H

hailz

thanks guys,These two are adults, they seem really fussy with food lately,and i only get em to eat one worm if that these days, after that they dont want anymore. my little guys eat bloodworms,black worms and earthworms and they are nice and solid(cause they are pigs)
What about Meal Worms? i think i read somewhere that these could help?(just slipped in with dinner as Apryl suggested) i might be wrong?

J

john

No they are fine but when feeding things like that make sure to de-capatate them so they wont bite back, or am I thinking of tubaflex worms.. either way its the same.

~John

H

hailz

ok, i think it is the meal worms that u have to remove/crush the head.....but then i might be wrong aswell, lol, oh well. i'm going too buy a tub of them on the weekend...might also try the crickets....i dont like things that jump though, might have to get dad to feed the girls those,lol. thanks heaps for your help
happy.gif

R

rheann

Hailz, try some Calamari (squid) Make sure to wash it off first. I'm going to start feeding this to my axies. This is ok to feed, also keep trying to feed with earthworms, they'll probably give in after time and eat more
happy.gif

J

joan

Also try waxworms. They're nice and fatty! I would only use freshly molted mealworms (you can see these as lighter in color than the others), as their chitinous coat isn't as tough as mealworms who havent molted yet. Personally, I don't like mealworms as they're hard to digest. And they're just creepy looking.

J

jordan

Squids, are you sure that would be fine? and where would you get squid?

S

sarah

I feed mine mealworms and I dont take off the heads, they dont seem to have a problem with them biting, unless our mealworms in OZ are different to yours??
Sarah

R

rob

i think it's more when they get into an axie's gut apparently they can do internal damage
to me not worth the risk, plenty of other things u can feed em.. or rip the heads off
how would u like something that bites in ur gut lol
hmmm i wouldn't
happy.gif

L

lisa

you could also try little bits of mussel or prawn. the strong smell will often stimulate appetite.

H

hailz

Millie is really ill, i went home at lunch and she was on her back, i changed her water and sat her upright again, she moved slightly but it really looks bad. She's sooooooooooo skinny, but i cant get her to eat anything, her gills arent looking that flash either. I dont think she will make it through the night,is there anything i can do for her? she's not in the fridge(not allowed) so im going to put her container on an ice block in an esky with some ice and water, so the water is rather cold. It's the exact same thing that happened to gilbert. Lulu is fine, she's eating..not much but she's still eating and has put on a little bit of weight.
I have a feeling something is not right in my tank,i'll go get the water checked but i think i'll just pull it apart and clean it and start fresh because i wont be putting anybody back in there. I have a new 3 ft tank which i will get set up and cycling next weekend. Fingers crossed for my baby girl
sad.gif

J

john

Sorry to hear that, tell us how she fairs in the morning. Good luck I hope she will be okay...

~John

C

cynthia

Hailz - Sorry to hear about Millie.

Have you thought about possibly having an autopsy done so you might find out what was wrong? Since Gilbert died the same way, it would be nice to know if it is something that can be treated if caught in time or prevented.

H

hailz

Thanks Guys
i havent thought of that, i buried her last night so it to late, i dont really want to go digging her up
sick.gif
. im almost sure its something to do with the tank...i'm wondering if those evil snails have given them something...it seems since they showed up they got sick.Maybe they were carrying some sort of parasite? i'm going to remove them, and give my tank a really really good scrub.
Lulu seems ok at the moment, she's not eating much but she's eating so thats the main thing. she's in a storage crate with fresh water. Ill let you know how it goes...

J

john

I'm so sorry, they were so cute. How long did gilbert die? I hope lulu will be ok.. Losing things and pplz collse to your hart is hard.

~John

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1