Phosphates!

L

lindsay

Ok, heres the story... I'm 3 weeks 2 days into cycling. I tested my Ammonia etc. for the first time yesterday and the readings were;

Ammonia: 0.25
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0

My tank is a bit slow me thinks.... Anyways, today I tested my phosphate levels and they are off the charts! (greater than 5.0 mg/L) I really don't know what to do! Can anyone help? I've read that when phosphate levels are high, to do a water change but I'm cycling and my tank is already slow as it is... But if I wait until it's cycled my tank will probably be covered completely in algae! EEK! I don't know how the levels got that high. I have only been feeding the comets I'm using to cycle 1 flake of fish food a day and I make sure they eat it all so it can't be excess food in the tank... Is high phosphate levels a normal thing during cycling? Please help! Cheers

PS: over the last week or so, my tank water has gone from crystal clear to quite cloudy... Is this normal for where I am in cycling or could it have something to do the the phosphate concentration?

hey Lindsay,
To lower Phosphate a 25% water change daily and a total of about 10-15 water changes should lower the levels. If that doesnt help as you have mentioned that you have been doing water changes i would recomend gettign some active carbon in your filter as that will lower the levels quite dramaticly.

What would make your Phosphate levels rise would have to be your commets or food you give them as that would be the most obvious reason.

Water changes shouldnt really be a problem in cycling as the bacteria grows in the filter and on and around objects in the tank such as rocks etc.

hope i helped.
happy.gif

i reccomend not doing water changed during cycling because you need the ammonia, nitrate and nitrite (i get those two mixed up heaps!!) in the water, it doesnt just happen on the ground... thats why you do water changes, to lower nitrate levels. wait until all your readings are good then give it a water change and away you go!

Never thought about it like that. Need to read up abit more
happy.gif
thanks Sharn. Btw havnt seen you in a while Sharn where u been?

mines on day 10 of cycling and i have 4x comets in there and looked this morning and i had like a white fur growing all over one of my ornaments
tested the water 2 days ago and all tests ok and nil ammonia. i havnt done any water changes
is this normal ?
think i'm gonna take the comets out !

i think you should just to try . I would definatly take out the ornament and not put it back until you clean and or boil it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back