Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Feeding dead fish?

S

stipe

hey i was just wondering, like if i bought some sardines (fresh) from a fish market can my axies eat them for food. As they are only small fish and fish are from the wild it would be like normal food such as worms. etc. And is also like octapus or squide tenticles cut up a sutible food, i dont mean as a stable but just as a throw in. And how about the sardines or other small fish from the markets for actual staples?

just want to know your opinions, thanks in advnaced, stipe.

J

jordan

im sure it would be fine to feed them the fish from the market so long as they were bacteria free. I don't know about octapus or squids though. I don't think i'd use the fish as a staple though.

J

joan

Nothing is bacteria-free, Jordan.

I wouldn't, as sardines are marine fish, and axolotls are freshwater. This might cause a problem. You might also have a problem getting your axolotl to eat dead food. With the kalimari, I don't see where it would be much different from prawns or such, if you rinse them well and can get your animal to eat them.

J

jordan

i know nothing is bacteria free Joan. I meant low in bacteria.

R

rheann

Joan is right. Sardines would not be good to feed. They are really high in salt. Augh... My husband's uncle eats them and we have them here a lot at the house. Very Salty!

Joan - I might try some Kalimari, that might make a great treat for my little guys
happy.gif
They sell it pretty cheap here too.

E

edward

While canned sardines are salty due to the processing methods, it is generally better to use marine, cold and or cool water fish as opposed to a lot of freshwater fish as these fish tend to be higher in unsaturated fats as opposed to saturated fats. If you could find fresh sardines, then they would be better to use.
The bateria that are typically found as potential pathnogenic bacteria (such as Pseudomonads and Aeromonads) in fish for amphibians are also typically the bacteria that are found in the enviroment or already part of the flora and fauna in the caudate.
When feeding out fish as a regular part of the diet, if the fish has ben frozen thawed, then thiamine needs to be added to the diet to prevent thiamine deficiency.
Ed

S

stipe

ok thanks alot, so if my dad ever buys some fresh small fish from the markets its okay for a treat or two, right?, lol
happy.gif

E

edward

Yep.
Or if it is used only as a treat, you could even use small pieces of fish like some small strips from a fillet.

Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1