Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New Filter

N

natasha

Can anyone recommend a filter than has a slow flow but is effective?

I am thinking of getting a new one sometime very soon. Currently using a Fluval 2Plus and I think it is a bit strong.

R

rheann

I am going to get a Rena Canister filter. Many people here at the forum use these
happy.gif

To baffle the flow, aquarium tubing can be used to spray across the tank and hit the glass. I am not sure yet how this is hooked up, but I will be getting my Canister filter here soon, possibly in another week or two.

Here is a good link that talks about similar Canister Filters.

http://axolotls.org/housing.htm

Hope this helps
happy.gif

N

natasha

I had a canister one before the internal one. I didn't like it. The smallest one i could get was huge. You had to suck the water through it with your mouth and get axie water in your mouth everytime you clean it out.

I will probably go for something internal not sure yet. Still got my canister one sitting at home doing nothing.

How much flow do the hang on the side of the tank ones create that have like a little waterfall coming down? I have one on my goldfish tank it seems to be less flow than the internal one in the axie tank.

Tash

R

rheann

I have an overhang filter, and they are terrible. They don't seem to get the waste out, very little, and what they do get out is only the floating stuff that floats around in the gentle current.

However they don't cause much current, and the newer models have flow settings on them so it can either be high, medium or low.

I think the filter is made by the company Marineland. I'll dig out the box tomorrow just to be sure.

That's pretty gross about the sucking the water through the tub part
sick.gif

Wasn't there an easier way to clean it with something else like Q tips or pipe cleaners?

My filter of choice right now is still the Rena Canister.

J

jordan

i have a hang-on filter with a little waterfall and i agree with rheann, it's not the worst i think but it barely provides enough suction to grab all the dirt and whatnot.

N

natasha

Hmm..I dunno what to do then. Everytime you unplugged the canister one you had to suck the water to get it going again. So it didn't matter how you cleaned it, still had to turn it off to do it.

I don't have any probs with the waterfall one on my goldfish tank been using it for years and they apparently produce a lot of waste. If I look at her tank I can see the water being pushed around the surface, but her gills don't flap in the movement when she is on the bottom.

R

rheann

Natasha, maybe try a different brand of Canister Filter? Perhaps the Rena?

Or maybe something else.

Anyone have any experience with the Rena that can help Natasha further on it?

as for the sucking the water through... eww...

J

jordan

Yes i would never want to do that sucking thing. That sounds sick.

J

joan

I highly recommend the Rena. To get it primed, they give you a funnel and you pour water down the intake tube; you don't have to suck it up (although I've sucked my fair share of aquarium tubing (think crappy non-self-starting siphons!)) Better than the easy priming, unless you empty the canister filter and dismantle it, you never have to reprime. It has a quick-disconnect hose setup, so you unplug the filter, and flip a little latch and clean out your media, and put the connection back in and it's already primed! I also like that the intake can be put on the opposite side of the tank as the output, so you have better filtration, as the water goes in one side and out the other. It also comes with a spraybar attachment (a little short, but works well), and clear hoses, so you can hide them down the corners of the tank. And the hoses are all you see since it's an external canister filter. The only downside is that the filter itself has to be kept below the tank, although this isn't a problem if yours is on a stand. And the media area is pretty small, but I've modified the setup in mine and put the biological media under the media basket. Otherwise I think it's the best filter I've ever owned.

R

rheann

Wow, Joan
happy.gif
That helped me out a lot too. I wasn't sure how they worked, I am going to try and order mine today or tomorrow. I have to deposit money in the bank, and afterwards I'm going to order it off www.bigalsonline.com

I'm pretty excited about it
happy.gif

R

rheann

Good News, I ordered the 75 Gallon Rena Filter
happy.gif

I still have that crappy 40 gallon tank that I never got around to fixing. AT the LEAST it can hold water, and I already have a 20 Gallon up and running.

That's more than enough room for 6 Axies. I ordered the bigger filter so that if I ever upgrade to that 60 gallon I won't have to buy another filter
happy.gif

So I'll make sure to post about how well it works for me. I think it should take about a week or so to get here.

J

jordan

wait, you have the 40 gallon with axies in it? Or is it empty because it was messed up? How was it messed up again?

R

rheann

No, in a previous post I was asking what I should use to scratch ugly blue background off the back of the tank and also how to get rid of thick water stains. I was also going to paint the fake wood stuff on the tank because it's ugly. It also has permanent marker marks on the wood because my husband has young siblings.

Nothing else is wrong with the tank. I already have a tank that has been up and cycling for several months and this is what is housing 3 of my Axolotls. It is a tall 20 gallon and is now getting too small for all three of them. I have 6 Axolotls, so two will remain in the 20 gallon and the rest will go into the 40 after I have set it all up and it has finished cycling.

I'll slowly add in one at a time after I get that tank set up and running. I am also thinking about planting the tank.

I have yet to scratch the blue stuff off the back and paint the fake wood stuff, which I decided I wouldn't get around to doing. It doesn't matter because when my husband and I get our important bills and stuff out of the way, we're going to get a house and then I will get my 60 gallon tank so it can house all of them together
happy.gif

N

natasha

That is the word!! The one I have isn't self priming. The self priming ones are very expensive from what I have seen. I have located an internal one similar to my current one that has a spray bar attached so I am hoping it would be less current. It is cheap as chips so I do not know how effective it will be. It's coming in the post.

When changing filters is it OK to plonk the new one in and take the old one out? Or should I run both until some bacteria build up in the new one? I could take the sponge bits out of the current one and place a bit in the new one or something? Or is the tank sufficient enough as it is to put the new filter straight in? (If any of that made any sense!!)

Tash

J

joan

I run both for a couple weeks. Or take out the filter cartridge in the old one and set it near the intake of the new one. Just keep an eye on your ammonia/nitrite levels for a few weeks.

Rheann, I've got the 45gal one. Bought it at big al's for $60(including shipping!), then priced it at petstupid the other day at $110!! They're good filters.

J

jordan

thats pretty sweet Joan, so natasha did you get the rena filter or what filter do you have?

N

natasha

I'll let you know when it arrives. It's being sent to me from the other side of Aus. I had not heard of the brand before and I as I said it was a cheapie. 1/4 of the price of my fluval. I'll see how it goes. I ordered a full test kit too (well mini one) for ph, ammonia, nitrate and nitrite (is that right?). I use to take it to the pet store. Always had a PH test kit but not the rest. Can't wait to get my stuff. It's exciting when a big parcel comes in the mail!

J

jordan

yes ammonia nitrite and nitrate is what you need to test. It definitly is exciteing to get a huge package in the mail

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1