Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Advice on Aquarium balls.

D

donna

Hi everyone again, I have three axies at my school and two are my axies and one is an axie that another teacher has inherited from an ex student. My problem is this - my collegue dopesn't listen - I mean she was actually going to put Iodine in the water to see if her axie would change! That can't be good for him right? Anyway she has now bought a red aquarium ball and popped it in the water, her tank doesn't need it I set it up myself! The levels are fine. I think it's one of the balls that is supposed to take out harmful bactieria from the water in fish aquariums. Is this going to harm this axie? If its something thats ment for fish and not axie's I can't see how it would help either? Any feedback would be great!
Donna.

R

rita

Aquarium balls... Like the plastic things filled with charcoal??

J

jennifer

Hi Donna, I agree that adding iodine to the water is a bad idea. Done incorrectly, it could be fatal.

I don't know what kind of red ball you mean. Can you find a photo on the internet somewhere to show us?

J

joão

Donna are these the balls that you say, the bio-balls?
42772.jpg

D

donna

nah these are different, it's been 24 hours now and spotty is not showing any sighns of distress. I'll try to find a pic later on tonight or tomorrow. Incedentally, I have been given an another axie today! A beautiful boy whom i've named lucky, because he's lucky to be alive! I've had him twelve hours now and he's eated eight weorms and is showing signs of long term neglect. But he's ok and I think he'll be alright!!!!! I'm so goddamn happy that I want to start a new thread but where would I put it?!?>!?!!?!?!? (LOL) this poor axie was given as a gift in lew of a pet cat and the family didn't want it and the silly cow that pased him on to me actually told me she was forgetting to feed him for a week at a time! I could have smaked her! anyway, he's in better hands now I think. I have to start posting pics I think!

andrew

Reaction score
I think those balls you are talking about are called ammonium balls or something like that.

I believe they are filled with activated carbon and are designed to absorb any toxins and such that may get into the water.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1