Microworms

N

nathan

Are Microworms worms or bugs and can you find them in Australia? (Going to try to culture some for backup food for baby axies)

No they aren't worms. A microworm is extremely prolific, slightly smaller than baby brine shrimp and while some may say that they are not as nutritious as BBS, if your fry are too small to eat BBS, less nutrition is probably better than no nutrition. That is from a search i did on microworms.

if they live in the ground and don't swim how do the axies get them?
also i found these tiny white things that look like termites in my worm farm is that them?

Jordan,
Microworms are a type of "worm" as they are an type of nematode.
see http://www.livefoodcultures.com/microworms_printversion.html

Nathan,
They don't swim but if you keep them in a bare bottom tank, the worms will wriggle on the bottom of the tank attracting the larva's attention to feed.
The small white insects in your cultures are probably springtails.

Ed

Jordan, did you take a look at Edward's link?

The info you provided, Jordan says nothing about microworms being worms or not. All your info says is that they are prolific, which means that they are productive, and that they are smaller than brineshrimp. I don't see where says in the info you provided that they aren't worms. They are a type of nematode, which is a type of worm.

As for Edward's link, it provides some good info about microworms.

I've had problems getting axolotl larvae to eat microworms. They much prefer brine shrimp.

Jordan,
Nematodes are considered a type of worm even though they are not an annelid. Worm is a term that covers several different groups and is used as a descriptive term for them.
For example in the description of the diagnosis of Nematoda the first sentence includes
snip
"Diagnosis of Nematoda
(i) unsegmented worms, basic elongate body shape often have cuticular markings - annulation, striation ratio of axes may change with stage and sex, loss of mobility" end snip

from http://plpnemweb.ucdavis.edu/nemaplex/Taxadata/Nemata.htm

Another common name for some nematodes are roundworms (but to me this is more usually used to reference parasitic nematodes).

Ed

thanx for clearing that up for me guys
happy.gif

I didn't like microworms. Since they were so small, they were only adequate food for a few weeks. I prefered grindal/white worms and then blackworms (which are hard to culture). Whiteworms were supersimple to culture, and made a pretty good staple (when fed the proper food, not bread and milk).

Microworms can be found at Veba's Aquariums in O'Connor(near Fremantle). I have used them successfully as an alternative to brine shrimp nauplii.

Microworms are incredibly tiny, smaller than the width of a hair and almost invisible. They are kept in clear take-away type containers and you can see them swarming up the sides of the container.

They are worth having on hand, particularly if you are having problems with brine shrimp hatching. I know they are not as nutritious as brinies but they are a good safety net.

Anne-Marie did you notice that your total posts before that one was 666?
evil.gif

Yes, I did. Anyways, all my posts come straight to the forums - from HELL.
angry.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back