Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Crickets

L

lauren

Hi im new here
Have read previous threads about crickets but none are of help at the moment.

Does anyone think it is a good idea to breed your own crickets or should i just keep buying them from the shop?

My axies love crickets (i have 2) and they both love crickets and they have about 6 a day each and i was considering starting my own "cricket farm"

does anyone know of an easy way to breed crickets???

B

brendan

I dont know about breeding ur own crickets but i dont see what a problem could be with it.

My axies absolutely LOOOOOOOOVE crickets and they cant get enough of them. My adults have about 10 each day Morning and Night and my babies 4 each day morning and night. Thats when i feed them the crickets. I dont feed them crickets everyday as people here say crickets arnt high in nutrients for the axies. But can be used as a supplement so they dont starve.

What i do is i buy 2 boxes of medium crickets each monday and that does me until the next monday.

B

brian

Breeding your own crickets isn't worth it unless you have a decent sized collection of animals. For axolotls, I'd say having at least 10 adult animals, eating nothing but crickets, before I'd even consider it. If you have to few animals, it becomes to time/cost ineffective. Conversely, if you have to many animals, then it takes up too much space and time. For only a pair of animals, you're better off just buying in bulk, say, a weeks worth at a time.

L

lauren

My crickets that i bought from the shop were jumping around like crazy, which made them hard to catch, and a couple got out...

To slow them down a bit i put them in the fridge for a few seconds...I went to take them out and they were frozen...which made them easy to catch, but not what i intended...

My axies ate a few and today when i went to feed them they wouldnt eat them...why???

also is there any easier wa to catch the crickets from inside the little "chinese container" with the egg carton???

Thanks

C

cynthia

Lauren - a more nutritional staple food source would be night crawlers. Crickets are more of a "snack".

You should be gut loading (feeding them well for 2 days on fresh veggies) the crickets before you feed them so they have some nutritional value.

When I used crickets as food for lizards, I set the crickets up in a 10 gallon aquarium with a screen top. I used a glass test tube to catch them.

C

casey

I just fed Martini 2 crickets! Is that enough? she's about 15cm and I feed her about 2 earthworms about every second day - is that right?

She seemed to like the crickets - she gobbled them down pretty quickly!

But I agree they are hard to catch - maybe I should try the fridge technique!

J

jordan

the 2 crickets sounds right, your feeding her 2-3 times a week right?

R

rheann

Casey, just make sure not to feed Crickets too often. As long as earthworms or nutritious foods are offered first, then feeding crickets second is ok
happy.gif

J

jordan

yes crickets are not a good constant meal for an axie, they might be considered better if you do hut loading as Cynthia said, but still shouldn't be the base food fed to your axie.

J

jenny

My axys didn't eat them just spat them out.
Hey jordan are they your axys in your little pic?

J

jordan

well someone is trying to sell me the wild0type in the middle, and sent me this picture to use. I don't know if im going to buy it yet but i might.

C

casey

I am gut-loading them and I will only feed them every two weeks or so - earthworms is my staple. But maybe next time I'll feed her an earthworm and a cricket instead of two crickets.

Thanks for your advice everyone!

J

joan

I feed crickets on occasion. Axolotls aren't the greatest hunters, and don't seem to realize their food is swimming around on the surface, so it's rather time consuming to feed crickets, but they make a pretty good treat overall.

N

natasha

I feed crickets as a staple. She eats about 6 every cpl of nights plus the occasional beef heart.

If I'm feeding bloodworm as well she has about 3 crickets along with a cube of bloodworm.

Hmm...She is about 2 yrs old I think and not overly fat I always worry she is too thin.

She won't have a bar of earthworms. I do not know what else to feed her. Local pet store is selling frozen pinkies now. How often are they OK? I heard one every couple of months I think?

Tash

J

jordan

Yea crickets=bad staple, because they are low in nutrients, but its good that you get in some bloodworms and other variety. She wont eat earthworms??? Everyone ive heard from say that earthworms are like the best staple. "How often are they OK?", the crickets? Well they are considered a treat rather than a staple, so like maybe 1-2 times a week.

E

edward

Jordan,
On what do base the statement that crickets are a bad staple and are poor in nutrients??
This is not what is documented in the literature.

Ed

J

jordan

i just heard it from other people that they were only supposed to be used as a snack and were poor in nutrients, im sorry if thats wrong, but thats what i heard from others.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!