Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

2 inch Axies ok to be together?

R

rheann

Hey y'all. As most of you know, I have three axolotls that are nearly full full grown and haven't reached sexual maturity yet.

Then I have my two little ones. one is a little over two inches, the other not far behind. I was wondering if it would be safe to house them together now? just the two babies together, not with the older axolotls. Eventually all five will be housed together in a 50 gallon tank.

They came from the same place so I didn't need to isolate them. Instead I put them both in a 5 gallon glass tank with a glass divider and have kept them that way for a while now.

I was wondering if it would be ok to move both of them into a 10 gallon tank with out a divider or would they try and eat each other?

From what I have read through the forum, and having little experience with baby Axies, they tend to be a bit nippy and will bite their tank mates unless given lots of hiding places. I just wanted to double check because I have also read several posts where people are keeping their babies together and don't seem to be having any problems. Just a bit confused on what to do.

They're both getting too big to be kept divided now and I would like to start cycling the 10 gallon tank so that in a months time it will be ready for them.

Thanks guys
happy.gif

J

joan

2 in a 10 gal should be fine. Put in lots of java moss so they can't really find each other, and you shouldn't have a problem with nipping.

R

rheann

Hey Thanks Joan
happy.gif

I've been sick with the flu so hopefully by tomorrow or this weekend I will feel good enough to set the tank up.

Looking forward to it too
happy.gif

J

joan

I kept 8 in a 20long at that size, so I think you'll be okay. Hope you feel better soon. I've been back and forth with a recurring sinus infection. Right during midterms too. :p

R

rheann

Ah! That sucks Joan! I have been having sinus problems the last three days, only thing that works is Tylenol Cold and Flu medicine. Noise and light seemed to set the pain off in my face. Makes it go away for a good while, but it comes back eventually.

I feel a bit better tonight
happy.gif

Might feel good enough to set up the little tank tomorrow. Thanks again
happy.gif

Try Tylenol Cold and Flu, it should help loads ^___^.

J

joan

I'm with the aleve sinus and headache. It takes the edge off, at least enough to get through exams. And it doesn't make me feel drowsy or high. I feel better today though.

Good luck with the tank!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1