Guppies - expensive food!

J

jenny

i bought 12 guppies costing £6 which i suppose compared to most pet shops thats quite cheap...except 4 axys ate them in 2 days. which could get expensive...mik...u said you got 1200 for like 30£ or something. which shop from?

also, is there anyway of telling if they are all eating because have only seen two of them eating one.

well, if I get a call back I will have my first batch of feeder fish tonight.

I'm waiting to see what the quality of them is like, how well they survive etc; but the axies have enjoyed the mollies I bred.

The main diet of my beasts is worms and pellets with other treats thrown in once a week. I intend to thrown 18-24 feeders in tonight with the 6 adults and see how many are around in the morning.

The only time I fed my animals guppies was when I was raising the guppies myself. First, this cuts the cost to near-nothing. Second, this prevents introduction of diseases, for which feeder fish are infamous.

are guppies and mollies used because they're easier for an axy to catch, or because they're non aggressive...?

They seem to be easier to catch but then again they aren't.

I use them because they aren't aggressive towards the axies.

I plonked my new plec in the other day and they both chased it around lol poor thing... ended up hiding behind the fliters
happy.gif

I think they are used predominantly because they are relatively cheap and quite plentiful.

I like to add the occasional feeder Danio myself. At 4 for a dollar, they are not a cheap treat, but their fearlessness turns them into a quick and morbidly entertaining meal.

Katy, they probably just wanted to investigate this new, weird creature.

i shy away from feeder fish, because like Jen said, they are notorious vectors for lots of things. eww.

i love using feeder fish, the axies have such fun chasing them, and it makes me feel good to bring out their predatory instinct. (plus it's probably the only exercise they get :p) i;ve never had a problem with disease, though have recentl;y had an issue with gill nibbling, so i guess it is a risk.

we put 8 in last night then went to the cinema got back and there was one guppi left :s

i just found out what a plec is....and wow! you can put those in there? and the axis wont eat them? what is the min size to get because the tank is becoming a bit algy'y.

Jenny,

Buy one that cant fit in there mouth... simple.. cant fit = they cant eat it.

The plec i got the other day seems to be doing fine now.. not being chased all over the place lol.

Just remember if you are going to get one make sure it is a cold water fish and that it is only going to grow to a small size that your tank can accomodate... as some WILL and CAN grown to 50cm not matter what the size of your tank!

Jenny, if you're going to cry over your axolotls eating guppies, I'd suggest not feeding them guppies any more.

i dont feel guilty about it any more, hence, the reason why ive bought 20 guppies for them to eat

63 Degrees F, 17 Degrees C. Hope this helps And welcome to the Forum Ctopia
happy.gif

you shouldn't put a plec in with axolotls for more reasons than i can list ie plecs are tropical fish ,plecs have been known to attach to the bodies of larger fish leaving marks and abrasions which are open to infections so they could do this to your axy,plecs create a lot of waste adding to waste producing axys plus plecs are one of my favourite fish and seeing one getting chased by some thing that wants to eat it is not good also plecs fins consist of very spiny rays which could give your axys puncture wounds; get an algae magnet
mark

and jigglypuff after looking at your prfile and seeing you keep lots of fish i am surprised
mark

Aside from agreeing totally Plecs should not be kept with axies, they can be an aggressive fish.

Plecostomus come in many varieties tolerating quite a range of temperatures. All varieties as they grow become territorial towards other Plecos and to other species.

Species mixing just goes against all the good solid advice available on the fact sheets on this site.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back