Lonely or just lazy

J

jon

hi there ive got a single axie(3"-4") in a quite large tank (270lts) and s/he seems lonely i know there (for want of a better word)a "lazy" species but s/he seems to spend most of his/her time just staring at the side of the tank? i think s/he's looking at his/her reflection in the side?
any ideas, suggestions would be great
cheers
berny

Hey Jon, if you want to get your little axie a friend, I think it would be ok if your tank was big enough. Not sure though because don't use the metric system
biggrin.gif
Older axies tend to vegg out at the bottom doing nothing, it's not really anything to worry about. The other thing is they can't see their reflections. it just looks that way to people looking into the tank at an angle. if you try looking at the glass through the glass to the otherside, you're pretty much seeing what they're seeing, except their vision is a lot more blurry
dizzy.gif
axies are such cute things.

nice 1 my tank by the way is 52"x18"20" so i think thats big enough?
its also mirrored on the ends (dont ask came that way?)so s/he could be vain but their eyesight is'nt that good is it?
im gonna put s/he in a 48"x12"x18" soon (the rock effect 1) will this be too small for 2 adults as i dont want move them from piller to post as they grow?

p.s whats that link about? bit confused!!
berny

(Message edited by bernyone on September 26, 2005)

WOW, that's a big tank! You could get a few more axolotls in that. I would put about 4 in there. But axolotls do spend 90% of their time just sitting and staring. A 48 inch tank is plenty adequate for 3 adults (I have 3 in mine).

thanks joan thought it would be ok but wanted to check?
lol that big tank only cost me £12 and it even has a proper stand with it? he he he
gotta love ebay!!+++ jpeg +++ 44110 +++ +++

(Message edited by bernyone on September 27, 2005)

Hey Jon, the link on my signature is just some random funny website. I thought if people visited they would get a good laugh, possibly confused
wink.gif

by the way, your tank is very lovely! I love the purple sand.

why thank you
i also love my purple sand especialy where it blends with the silica sand? looks the dogs b..... there are so many people commenting on my sand? think i might have to look in to selling the stuff?lol

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back