Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Pellet Feeding

G

grant

Well it depends on the size. Small axolotls I just feed them individual pellets. But for my big ones I feed them 3 to 4 pellets rolled into a ball. To roll them just get your finger tips wet with water and smash them together.

D

denise

hello craig
i have buried a small shallow bowl in my river bed pebbles so that it is level on the bottom of the tank and i put my pellets in the bowl and my axie comes and eats them at her leisure. it took a couple of feeds for her to get the drift but she worked it out in the end and i find theres less mess this way also.

A

aimee

I've been thinking of trying out using a small bowl to feed Sushi his pellets but how do you know if the bowl is safe for your axies? Could just any glass ash tray be okay or would this somehow be toxic to an axolotl? Or what about the feed dishes you can buy for small animals like hamsters and mice? I'd be afraid to try those since they have paint which might prove harmful. How do you know which are safe and which aren't?

By the way, I love your profile picture, Denise
happy.gif

D

denise

thank you aimee, Milky way is the love of my life (besides husband) my mum thinks its the ugliest animals shes ever seen ha ha. when i bought my bowl for my tank i made sure that it can be used in the dishwasher cause i dont know if this is true but someone told me if its dishwasher safe then there will be nothing harmful to it. i didnt get a pattern or anything just plain white and its a soy sauce bowl so its deep but not to big

B

brent

hand feed him not the best way but interesting all the same
if he grabs your finger just let him finish he'll spit it out
DON'T rip your finger out of his mouth you may hurt him

H

hailz

When i feed mine pellets, i just hold them above their head till i get there attention and then just drop them and they catch em! (it my take them a while but if they are little piggy's like mine they'll get the drift pretty quick)
lick.gif

kevin

Reaction score
That's how I do it currently. Just drop them one by one at their nose. Mine seem to have a strike zone and if I drop it out of that zone, they just ignore it.
Sometimes Spud (my albino) will float with her nose just at the surface waiting to be fed. That just doesn't work because by the time she feels the pellet - it's past her. I give her a little tickle on the nose and she nips my finger then settles down at the bottom and is easier to feed then.

That's works for now. They're in shallow temporary tanks while I've been finishing the stand for their real home. When I put them into the 29 gal tank (after cycling) I'll have to come up with a new routine I guess.

Kevin

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1