What to do about HIGH nitrate . . . ?

A

aimee

I don't know what to do . . . ammonia=0, nitrite=0, pH=7.5, and nitrate=160

That was yesterday. As soon as I saw this I did a 50% water change and nitrate was back down to about 20. Today I tested my water again and nitrate is up to 80!

The tank has been cycled for ages. Though right before I put my axie in the tank, I was having high nitrate problems. It took me a few weeks to get it at a low level and have it stay there. Now, a week after introducing Slider to the tank, the nitrate problem is back. What could be causing the levels to sky rocket so fast? The only change that's been made to the tank is my axie. Could this cause high nitrate?

And what should I do about this? Would it be a bad idea to do a daily 20% water change?

Get some live plants! If your nitrate keeps spiking, maybe you have more animals than your tank can handle? If the tank is newly cycled, then a nitrate spike would not be unheard of; you need time to build up the bacteria levels.

As long as the nitrates are high, I would do a water change whenever warranted.

The tank he's in right now is a 35 gallon and he's the only animal in it. The tank has been cycled for about 4 months now. Is that considered a newly cycled tank?

I wouldn't expect so. Keep up with the water changes, I guess. Do a really good cleaning, make sure there's no rotting food hidden somewhere.

Well I've done 3 water changes in the last 4 days now and my nitrate is still reading around 80. The water is clear. The gravel and tank are clean. I've used the water siphon with each water change and haven't found much in the area of rotting food or axie poo.

Everything looks peachy and my axie seems active and alert and is eating well. I just don't understand how after 3 water changes, my nitrate is still at such high levels.....please help

sad.gif

Lets do the math. I'll assume you are doing partial water changes of about 25% of the water volume. With the first change, that would bring the nitrate down by a quarter, from 160 to 120. With the second change, the nitrate would go from 120 to 90. With the 3rd change from 90 to about 70. Your reading of 80 seems right on target to me. Perhaps you were changing less than 25% of the water, or the axolotl was continuing to produce waste.

A reading of 80 is still a little high, but not a cause for serious concern, IMHO. Just do the amount of water changes that you need to keep it at that level or a bit lower. Joan's suggestion of adding plants wouldn't hurt.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back