How long can axie go without eating?

T

tori-ann

my very sick axie not eating in sometime how long can they go without eating?
any ideas to get them to eat?
and can u force fed them?

ive heard that some people on here give their axies prawns when they wont eat. apparantly they love them but ive never given mine them.someones axie on the forum didnt eat for around 1 - 2months or something around that duration.

what is your axie eating at the minute?

One of my axies went for over 4 weeks without eating. I still have no idea why.

I have never had this problem so I can't help you, but I just thought I'd tell you that you might want to pick up some frozen krill. I bought some the other day and my axie loves em!! They are like a bunch of full krill (not the little cubes). They have them in all the pet store freezers over here.

Frozen krill might help my Axolotl. I am also going to try and stimulate his appatite with blood worms. Grimace still isn't eating, but hopefully he will soon. I'm trying not to worry about it. I'll see if pets mart has any frozen krill.

eating worms liver whitebait
he really skinny looking its really sad

I had one go 3 weeks without eating for no apparent reason. She eats like a pig now though. Keep trying with the worms. I'd leave out the liver and use it only as an occasional treat.

What type of liver is it?

It's usually not good simply because the axies wouldn't eat it in their natural environment.

Also I think it's high in fat - but don't quote me on that one ;)

Two of mine went for an absurdly long time without eating, but that was only when I first brought them home. And Desdamona's off her food at the moment, but that's because she was stressed about having salt baths every day for a while, but she'll be eating like a pig again soon, I'm sure.
Yes, red meat from animals does contain higher amounts of fat then would normally be in an axolotls diet.
I've always just waited out my axolotl's little hunger strikes, because there wasn't much else I could think of to do.

Mikolaj Skowronek- Mammal meat is harder for axolotls to digest.

Although liver is listed as a staple food in various books and care information on axolotls, some members of this forum no longer recommend it being used as a staple food.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back