My worms died!

H

hayley-jane

I don't understand.

I went to feed Elsa this afternoon and all the worms I have in the worm box have pegged it!?

At least 90 of them, all dead.

Whats happened?

And can Elsa still eat them or are they not as nutritious?

Can you describe what your worm box is like and how you maintain it? Or is it just a box containing worms you got from a supplier?
Personally I don't think I'd fancy feeding dead worms to Axle. They might have 'gone off'!

Laura

I opened my container of worms and found some dead. it was gross. they tend to rot fast after they die, so I wouldn't feed them to your little axie. They might be rotting already. I would just start with a fresh box. If the ones that are still alive look good, i would just put them in some fresh soil so that they can improve more so.

if you are talking about earthworms , they don´t live in high temperatures , if the temperature in the box is too high they die very quick.
I suggest that you use a net to cover you box off worms, and sprinkle it sometime.
use some turf that retains more of the humidity, and feed them with bran wheat and egg shell for calcium, put the box in a dark and cool place

Hi,

It was just a box filled with soil and old veg.

It was kept in the garage, which is quite cold and dark and the soil was damp. I don't get it.

I've thrown them all away anyway.

Made a new one earlier this evening. I found a web page explaining how to do it out of 2 boxes, so that the bottom box fills with excess water/worm wee etc

It now contains soil, damp newspaper and potato peelings etc

It was a professional site so hopefully this time it will work.

Off to get more worms in the morning.

Weird...

For sure, don't feed the axie dead worms. What type of worms do you buy? Are they correct type of worm to keep in that kind of setup?

I buy "Red Worms" - I read somewhere that they were okay?

Redworms should be OK to keep like that. Be sure you don't add too much vegetable matter too quickly. Since you aren't starting with a huge amount of worms, they won't eat much at the beginning. If the temperature and moisture are right, they should do fine.

If you are just keeping the worms long enough to feed them to the axies (as opposed to trying to raise a self-sustaining culture), I'd suggest just keeping the worms in the fridge until you want to use them.

You must have been unlucky. Can't think of anything wrong with your original box, but as you say, hopefully the new one will be better.

Red earthworms are the type you get in compost heaps
happy.gif

Laura

Jennifer, my parents wont let me keep them in the fridge, so I have to keep them in the garage.

They should be okay this time around, maybe I gave them too much food the first time?

Are red worms better than earthworms for axies? Or about the same?

I don't know, but I would think that redworms and other earthworms would be similar in nutrition.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back