Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axies and applesnail together?

A

applesnail

So.. can i keep axies and applesnails together? In the same tank? In thought that axies eat snails, but my friend says that i can keep axies and snails together.. i don't know now, who to believe?

thanks..

D

denise

hello. As far as i know its not a good idea to keep snails with axies, when axies sleep they have a deep sleep and because they are zonked out if a snail crawls over them the axie would not know and a snail could eat their flesh. some people put snails in with axies but i havent. when my axie is sleeping i can move her into a bucket to clean her tank and she sleeps through the whole process.

L

lisa

I have 2 "mystery" snails (big yellow ones, possibly apple snails) in my tank along with 4 red ramshorn. 3ft tank with 3 axies.
They have all been happily co-existing for 6 months or so now.
No problems with the snails trying to eat the axies. Only problems with the snails constantly laying eggs everywhere.
If you do decide to add a snail to your tank, watch closely. I am in no way recommending the idea. I just know that under the right condidtions (enough room/live plants for snails to eat algae off) snails and axies can live quite happily together.

C

cynthia

Hi Applesnail welcome to the forum.

Axolotls do indeed eat snails that fit into their mouth. I have an axolotl who loves snails and actively "hunts them".

There are mixed feelings about apple snails and axolotls living together.

Apple snails (as you probably know)have a hard door on their foot and can close up tightly, should an axolotl have its face, foot, or tail near the snail when it closes it could very easily be caught in the snail closing up.

There is a "disaster story" about that here:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/Mixing_disasters.shtml
Scroll down to the axolotl and apple snail mixing story .

It is true apple snails will eat meat that includes the dead and the dieing and possibly the slow.
There is a great site about apple snails here:
http://www.applesnail.net/
Check out the FAQ

I have apple snails but I do not keep them in the axolotl tank. I can not recommend putting snails in your axolotl tank as any number of things could happen...or nothing at all. There is risk with putting any 2 species together I will always vote in favor of the axolotls safety.

A

applesnail

thanks.. My snails are pretty big. Course that I think axies can't eat them.
And Lisa im not sure but seems that your snails are apple snails.

A

anne-marie

When I've seen those yellow shelled snails in aquarium stores, they never have a species name, they're just always called Mystery Snails.

Why is this I wonder?
What is the mystery supposed to be? Maybe they have special powers and need to be incognito?
famous.gif

Maybe no-one in Australia actually knows what they are - I sure don't.
alien.gif

D

dev

I think they are called mystery snails because they are the most colourful and have the most variety among apple snails.

R

rheann

What does color have to do with mystery? LOL. Mystery snails, I tell you, they're magic! Magic I tells ya! jk

D

dev

Hmm well they have different coloured bodies, shells, striped, non striped, genetically it could be a mystery how there is so much variety in one specie? I didnt name them
happy.gif

(Message edited by solaris on July 29, 2005)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1