New axie baby for company?

H

hayley-jane

Elsa is 17cm long, how old do you think she is?

She has been living alone since I got her 18months ago.

My breeder has some 10cm axies, would it be okay to buy one and Elsa and the new one share the 3ft tank?

Or is that just asking for trouble??

Certainly there's nothing wrong with keeping axies together. The size difference is an issue.

It all depends on Elsa's nature. If she is a snapper, don't put the little one in there. I have had different size axies in a tank without problems (my large adult female and two of her offspring are pictured for size comparison).
39904.jpg

Because I brought up the babies myself I didn't worry about quarantining the newbies first, but I'm not sure if that would need to be something you need to do if the new one is coming from a different environment?

Also, I don't know if im reading this right but Elsa is 18 mths old and only 17 cm? That's quite small for her age.

Hi

I have no idea how old Elsa is. I brought her 18 months ago and now she is 17cm - she was about 10cm when I brought her, I think the guy said she was one year old then.

Is she not growing very fast?
sad.gif
Maybe I have the first axie dwarf?!?
uhoh.gif

If she was one year old and 10cm she was small as yearling axolotls go. Since she was small for her age when you got her she may be always undersized.

There is nothing wrong with adding a second axolotl but I would make sure Elsa back to being 100% and doing well before you add another.

If you do get a second one you should keep it separate from Elsa for at least 30 days and watch it for signs of ill health. You don't want a new axolotl to bring Elsa an illness.

Before adding the new one to the tank make sure there are lots of hiding places and both of them have been well fed.

i think growing rate depends on the amount of food given, how often it is given and the temperature of the water. maybe these have been a contribution to the slow growth rate.

about axie dwarfs...well i have 5 month old juveniles and 2 of them haven't even got to 2 inches yet. one of them is only about an inch if that.lol. im giving them plenty to eat on a daily basis and the temperature is at a higher temperature (18-20 degrees) so i dont know why they aren't growing.
happy.gif
. my adults are 9 inches and 8 inches in length but im not sure how old they are. i dont think there is anything wrong with the length of your axie because they can come in different sizes.
happy.gif

The water temp that Elsa has been in has been pretty high as I was never told that it was suposed to be low before finding this website. She usually eats loads, so it must be the water temp that has been stumping her growth.

Not to worry then
happy.gif

higher temperatures make them grow quicker.so maybe she is just supposed to be a small axolotl! hehe!

lol.
happy.gif
.thats why i was saying i dont know why my juveniles are soo small because the temperature is around 18degrees C.lol.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back