Raw Chicken and Fish

B

brendan

Is it possible for an Axolotl to safely consume raw chicken and or fish?

Also would raw chicken and or fish be beneficial to an Axolotl diet.

Brendan - I feed small strips of salmon fillet usually once a month. The salmon I have is wild caught and home cleaned and packaged. It makes me feel a little safer knowing where it came from and how it was handled.

I would avoid chicken because of salmonella bacteria. I have never read about anyone feeding it and I don't think axolotls would ever encounter chicken in the wild.

Thanks for the info on the salmon. Will try it out.

LoL at the chicken statement. I know they wouldnt encounter them in the wild but i just thought maybe chicken may be a useful food. But, ill think ill stay clear of the chicken.

Just on a side note. Salmon Roe. Would that be ok for Axolotls to eat? The guy at my local aquarium says that Salmon Roe is a great nutritional food for Axolotls.

Thnkas

I am not sure about salmon roe. Salmon is somewhat fatty which is why I only feed it once a month.

The only thing that keeps coming to my mind is the salmon eggs they sale as bait that is bottled in some type of oil lol

Keep in mind that axolotls need staple foods that have low oil and fat content or they might develop liver problems.

It seems like we had a discussion on this topic a few months ago, did we?

I think we did, and it was decided that the roe would be too fatty as a regular food, but may be a good treat food if kept to a very minimum. I'll try to find the thread.

i feed my babys sometimes whitebait
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back