Earthworms?

andrew

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Andy Baker
By earth worms do you mean i should just go dig up some from my garden? Will they be to big for 4 inch axie? Thanks

i got earthworms out of the compost. my axies dont like them though
sad.gif
i think it was cynthia that told me those worms can have a funny taste. my axies are actually scared of them (well my big boy is anyway) and if i do manage to get them to take one in they spit it out again. but the worms they wont eat i give to my oscar, he loves them!

Thats funny Sharn - my axies love earthworms (I buy mine - can't trust the soil out here) and my oscar is afraid of them - big baby!!

Sharn - That was Joan that said her axolotls don't like compost worms.
happy.gif

I get my worms from a gas station across the street from where I work. I give the worms oatmeal, instant mashed potato flakes and a few salmon pellets to eat. So far my axolotls have not refused a worm.

Yeah, my axolotls got nightcrawlers one time, and then refused compost worms. Spoiled. I also get my worms from the gas station. I put them into.... gladware (lol, I feel like a tool!) with a little extra topsoil, and some oatmeal, mist it down, put them in the fridge. They last for quite some time.

woops sorry! sharon- my oscars a freak! he jumps out of the water to get attention when im SLEEPING!! he jumped out of the water when he saw a potential feeder and splashed my mum when she was in my room (doing her daily go and talk to the axolotls with her baby voice session) she was not impressed! her latest brainwave is tieing ribbons in their 'hair' *rolls eyes*

I'll tack on a question about earthworms here, how many do you feed to an axolotl a day? One? Two? As many as they will take?

i have been giving my littl fella 1-2 worms every other day

I feed my axie both earthworms and the smaller redworms. Earthworms are fed about once a week (cut up into 3 sections which I feed throughout the day). I also feed him 1 waxworm per week. And he normally eats the redworms. About how much to feed I actually have no idea lol. I was feeding him 3/4 pieces of redworms 3 times a day and people said I was feeding way to much. Now I've cut it back to 2 times a day (morning and night) but he is looking pretty skinny now so I bumped it back up to 3 times now with whole redworms. He is growing super fast and is about 6 inches now. If he misses a feeding session he starts swimming around the top waiting for a worm to fall from the sky. I'm kinda confused about his feeding as well lol.

Oh... well... my axie seems to be a hungry little bugger and gobbles them up in no time. By the sound of things I've been feeding him too much :D

He's been eating 3 or 4 earthworms a day.
blob.gif

lol, that's a lot of food. That's like you eating an entire pot of chili in one day. I feed mine about 6 cm of earthworm 3 times a week, give or take. Just because they're begging for food doesn't mean they need it. They're opportunistic feeders and will eat whenever food is present, whether they need it or not.

Man I feed alot but that many earthworms?? Are they earthworms or redworms? How long are the worms? I feed mine 1 earthworm a day (cut into pieces).

I don't cut the worms up (and yes, they are earthworms and pretty large ones too.. lol 6 to 7cms), both of my axies just gobble them up whole. I thought I'd have to cut their heads off or cut them up like people have suggest, but I just dangle them in the water near their heads and the axies snatch and swallow!

Ok, so that's too much *grin* I forgot to ask before I bought the worms as to how much they should get.

And Joan, I guess I didn't think of that, but yes, they do beg and are _very_ opportunistic! I swear they see me walking into my room!
biggrin.gif

So about 6cm of worm per day per axie? What about if they are still young and growing? My new golden is quite smaller than Tezca, although the pet shop people didn't know exactly how old. Wait.. they didn't even vaguely know how old.. doh.. lol

The purpose behind cutting them is just if they're too big for the axolotls to handle. Mine are shameless beggars. They're begging as we speak. My Taricha's worse. She'll beg seconds after I've fed her.

6cm a day would be adequate for a growing youngin'. A good indicator on if they're getting enough food is the size of their belly. It should be kind of round (although mine grew so fast that no matter how often I fed them, they just grew longer instead of wider). If they're plump, they're well-fed. If they're throwing up bolus, you're feeding too much. It varies from animal to animal. From the pic, your white one looks well fed.

Sharn, that's pretty funny what your mom does! made me laugh
happy.gif
how the oscare splashed her when she went in to talk to the axolotls. she wants to tie ribbons in their feathery gills? that's so funny! Hope she doesn't really try it lol.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back