Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Guppies

B

brendan

what gender of guppies is preferred by axies? Male or Female? Or doesnt it matter?

B

brendan

Meaning what gender of guppies should i house/feed my axolotls? Male or Female or is there no difference?

Also guppies can be housed with axies yes?

Thanks

J

jarred

I wouldn't advise keeping them together, unless you want the axolotl to eat the guppy or the guppy to nibble at the axies gills. If you look around this forum you can read a lot of people's experiences about mixing other aquatic animals with axolotls.

I am not sure what gender is better for them to eat. Does it make a difference?

B

brendan

Hmmm, conflicting info :S:S:S

I thought that you could house axies and guppies together without a hassel?

I'll do an indepth search into the forums and check out others experiences.

Cheers mate.

J

jarred

I think I read something about an axolotl attacking a guppy just a while ago. It might be in the most recent archive. I think it was called, 'It was so awful' or something like that.

But you could try it for yourself if you want. You might be putting your animals in danger though. If you do I'd like to hear how it works out.

J

jarred

That sounds like I am encouraging you to put your axies in danger. I'm not. But if you try mixing them let us know how it works out.

B

brendan

I might get some guppies tomorrow and see how it goes. Once its been tried ill post and let ya know.

Should be fine hopefully.

J

jenny

axies will def eat the guppies.

they are ok with axies because they dont nibble at gills like other fish do.

i put some guppies in the tank with my juvy axies and they didnt seem to go for the guppies but the adult axys - i put 12 in one night and the next morning there was one guppie left!

B

brendan

So maybe i could house some guppies with the juvi's and when the adults are ready for a feed just put the guppies into the adult tank?

L

leah

Quarantine those guppies before you put them in the tank! AT LEAST a full month to be sure the guppies aren't carrying any disease. You know how fish stores are...

Otherwise feeding live fish is fine, just pay close attention in case the fish start nibbling your axolotls' gills (which look a lot like bloodworms to a fish!)

C

cynthia

It is not always ok to house guppies with axolotls. Guppies nip gills just like any other fish will. I guess it depends on how many risks you are willing to take.

If you feel for some reason you have to feed guppies to your axolotls, do not buy guppies and dump them directly into a tank with axolotls.

Guppies carry diseases and parasites just like any other fish. And they could pass these on to your axolotls.

If you are going to feed guppies then quarantine them for at least 30 days. It is not a good idea to raise guppies in the same tank as the axolotls.
Guppies reproduce quickly and not all axolotls catch guppies.

As an occasional food I guess guppies are ok, but I would make sure they are healthy, and I would not add a bunch of them to the axolotl tank all at the same time.

(Message edited by cynorita on January 10, 2005)

K

kim

Just keep them in a separate tank, do not use the same things for that tank, and ash your hands before and after you have been in contact with it.. That sort of thing

(Message edited by jigglypuff on January 10, 2005)

C

cynthia

You house them in their own tank and watch them for signs of illness. White spots, fin rot, anchor worm, velvet, open sores, gill flukes etc. Do a search on tropical fish diseases and see what you are up against. You need to be able to identify fish diseases if you are going to use guppies as food.

B

brendan

Ooook... I might leave the guppies :p

thanks for all the replies.

C

cynthia

How do you "Quarantine" a guppie?

You house them in their own tank and watch them for signs of illness for 30 to 45 days.

White spots (ich), fin rot, anchor worm, velvet, gill flukes etc. Do a google search on tropical fish diseases and see what you are up against.

You need to be able to identify fish diseases if you are going to use guppies as food.

L

lauren

Guppies caused the death of my old axolotl. He was a 5-6" juvenile at the time, and I put about 6 guppies in his tank to feed him while I was away. When I returned 3 days later, not a single guppy was missing, but the Axies arms, legs, and gills were! He was hiding from them in a corner of the tank. I had seen this same axolotl eat a guppy before I left - but I guess they ganged up on him. He died when his injuries got infected, despite spending weeks in the fridge.

So, I would at least be very careful.

B

brian

Speaking as a fish keeper, guppies are NOT good live foor for anything. Feeder guppies are kept in underfiltered, overcrowded tanks. They come from fancy guppy stock, and are therefore HIGHLY inbred, which makes their immune system very fragile. This combines to create a perfect environment for diseases, which are easily transfered to other animals.

If you want to feed your axolotls (or any other aquatic animal) live food, I would suggest either rosy red minnows or ghost shrimp. These are just as easy to obtain, just a cheap, and have a much lower chance of being diseased before endtering your tank. Rosys should be perfect. They don't nip at other animals and are extremely resistant to infections and parasites. They should be a good size for adult axolotls, but depending on size, might be too big for smaller axies.

One other note. If you get a rosy that is too large for your axies to eat, get rid of it! theres a reason these are called minnows. An adult rosy can be over 2 feet long, so you don't want to keep these guys.

B

brendan

Hey brian.

Would the rosy's be able to be housed in the same tank as the adult axolotls? as for the ghost shrimp?

Also is there any particular way you feed the shrimp to your axy or do they eat it live?

Thanks.

B

brian

As long as you're not keeping too many rosy's with your axie, they should be fine. As for the shrimp, just toss them in.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1