Ok now I've got newborn mice...

S

sharon

What next?? A new litter was born this AM. How do I feed "live" baby mice to the axolotls? I know how the snake people feed the adults to their snakes... (omg got the creeps)... am I supposed to do that to the babies? i.e. put 'em in a bag, whack 'em against a wall so that they are stunned. I know why the snake people do this and I don't see that it applies here since they aren't going to fight back or struggle.....

Sharon

hi.. my axolotls are having a strange behaviour, they are scratching their gills, and the gills are loosing color, they have also a kind of 'diureia', I (hope I wrote it in the right way) their gills are a lit bit curled to the front... can someone help me out?

Sharon, get a pair of tweezers and hold it in front of the axies face. Or you can freeze them and feed them as freshly frozen.

Joao, you should start your own thread in order to get more responses. You also do not need to post the same post multiple times.

I have a problem with freezing things. I know that in the case of reptiles, frogs etc if you freeze an animal, supposedly "humane" what you actually do is shred it from the inside. I think the water in the blood forms ice crystals and the animal is shredded from the inside out. Therefore, I could never freeze anything.

"How about a hammer blow to the head?? It's quick?"

ROTFLMAO - that had to be a joke!! I'd need a hammer from Barbies' tool kit lmao

Yeah, well ok, fair comment - I've never had baby mice, have I !!
rofl.gif

oh god you people are mean! theyre baby miceies! theyre so cute!

Sharn, circle of life. Is it mean when a snake catches a mouse and eats it? Is it mean when you chop up an earthworm and feed it to your salamanders?

Circle of life...thats it... lol wish I could live outside the circle sometimes!! Ok I wussed out and didn't try it last night, but I will soon.

Sharon

Your best bet is to put them in a bag, and whack them against something really hard. It'll kill the mouse, then you can just use tweezers to feed it to your axies. There is another way which is less unsettling to most people, but if you don't do it right, you can end up causing a lot of pain for the mouse instead of killing it, so if you really cant bring yourself to do it the other way, pm me and I'll tell you how.

Ok, I'd like to know the "other" way out of curiosity!! PLEASE?

Sharon

Hey Brian thanks for the directions.. it does sound a great deal more humane if slightly on the practised side!!!

I've used a method like that on game birds.. I might try it. THANK YOU!

Sharon

Are small pinkies good food for axies every now and then? They seem like they would be very nutritious with all the calcium and stuff, and not as likely to get them sick as guppies.

Grant you have to be very sure of your source. For the most part the frozen mice sold by petstores are the best way to go. Freezing kills any bugs or parasites.

But apparently, as I have heard no dissenting opinions, yes, baby mice are a good source of nutrition.

Since I raise my own, there isn't any question to the health and condition of the mice.

At any rate, this mousey mom only had four babies, not enough to go around, lol, and its her first litter so I don't want to pull the babies.

Lord & MN knows I'll have more soon enough!!

Sharon

Ok thanks, well a friend of mine breeds mice (mainly for his snakes) but I am sure that they are healthy and dont have any problems. But, I would get frozen ones, but I'm pretty sure my axie wouldn't eat them, because he REALLy prefers live food.

LOL you should get your axolotls used to other foods - variety will help his diet be more enriched. LOL besides, if you do it right they will look like they are wiggling in the water...

Sharon

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back