How to fatten up an axie?

S

steff

my girl is looking pretty thin compared to all the axies on this forum! i've been feeding her earthworms and frozen bloodworms... can anyone suggest other thigns to feed her to beef her up a bit?!

I feed beef heart and liver, although some people don't recommend this. I find it gets accepted every time.

Sinking pellets for aggressive fish, earthworms, beefheart, chicken liver, and I guess I get to add baby mice to this list.. ugh.. gonna hate knocking them senseless.. geeze, I breed them and I might wind up paying the petstore for frozen ones!

Waxworms are fairly fatty. Add these to her diet a few times a week.

would these be available in a normal pet shop?? i haven't heard abt waxworms being sold here... anyone know where to get them in the sydney area?

I'm not sure about australia. You guys have weird laws! Call around about waxworms (also known as moth larvae or bee larvae, I've seen them called both), butterworms, silkworms (These can get kind of expensive), or just feed her more often.

Oy! We have weird laws??? Check out California.
and Steff, I have never even seen waxworms - maybe Joan has a point.

i'm jsut gonna try to feed her more often... maybe there's a way i can fatten up the worms with more nutrition?? i just feed em veggie scraps... anything i should be feeding them in particular??

They're not vegetable eaters. They're not equiped to digest vegetables. Feed them every day, or every other day. Almost any soft-bodied invertebrates would be okay (mainly the various 'worms').

yeah i feed the worms veggies!! LOL!! and i'm asking what else i could feed the worms to fatten THEM up, and in turn fatten up my axie! LOL!

I think somebody on here was recommending oatmeal for worms. Also egg shells for calcium.

I live in California and I get waxworms and feed to my axie (probably 5 of em a week but I have to cut off their heads for some reason or he wont eat them, hes weird) I also feed the small "red wiggler" earthworms to him, because when he eats them he eats more offen and seems to have an easier time eating them. But, I heard that a pinkie every now and then won't hurt.
PS I'm pretty new to axies though

My worms won't eat oatmeal, but they like the eggshells. I take the egg shells, and bake them at 350F until they turn brownish... Then while they're still hot, put them in a plastic bag and smash them to a powder (easier to do while they're hot). This kills off any salmonella or other bacteria that may be on the eggs.

My axies refuse red wigglers now that they've been exposed to earthworms. Picky... Waxworms get fed maybe twice a month. I've picked up some butterworms and they've just inhaled these, but they're too big for my smaller newts.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back