Change of behaviour

S

steff

my axo seems to be belly sludging around lately! (lying on her belly most of the time) what does this means? her typical behaviour consists of her up on all limbs and swimming around actively... now she looks like a lil' puppy abt to pounce on a ball!! its cute but the change of behaviour is strange... any thoughts??
(nothing out of the ordinary has happened to her tank either... so i dunno what could be up!)

How old is she? Mine went from mostly active swimming to mostly crawling around sexual maturity (9 or 10 months old). They still swim on occasion, especially to lay under the filter output. But they mostly stick to the bottom.

i've got no idea how old she is! got her as a bday pressie just over a month ago... when i got her i figured she was already sexually matured as she had dark tips on her fingers...

If you just got her, then she's probably all settled in, relaxing. The bottom-loving behavior is normal.

Good luck!

well, i've realised that when i feed her she perks up to normal behaviour! someone told me to feed her every other day but i've started to feed her everyday now... i think the colder weather is making her metabolism faster... hence she's getting hungrier! either that or she's learnt how to beg and guilt me into giving her more worms!

Steff, every other day is fine. I feed mine twice a week. They thrive more in colder temperatures, but that doesn't make their metabolism faster.

And yes, they're shameless beggars. I think almost all hand-fed caudates are.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back