Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What to feed while i am away?

P

paul

I was wondering if there are any feeder blocks available that are suitable to feed my little fella while i am away. i will be gone 2 weeks. unfortunatly all of my friends are currnetly on ships at sea ( we are all in the navy). IF i have to i will put the little guy in a container and take her with me in the car. i am a little worried how this will go though. a 10 hour drive. any help would be appreciated.

N

natasha

Paul the only thing I can think of is an automatic feeder, I do not know what food you could put in there for an axie though....maybe just freeze dried stuff if it would fit?. Does she only take food from your hand? or will she hunt around for her own food if it is floating or laying in the tank?
If she can't find food in her tank (mine can't) then anything you put in there automatic feeder/block (although I only know of these for fish) will foul up the water and do more harm than good. Worse comes to worse I think they can go without food for that long without too much damage, someone might like to correct me on that point!!

A

anne-marie

How about dumping some live black worms to last for two weeks but your axy will need to be know to hunt for these. I know people don't recommend feeder fish, but in this case it could be another option.

A

anne-marie

And I meant to mention that one of my axies went for about a month without eating, but that was his choice not mine
lick.gif

cody

Reaction score
Once my little brother forgot he had an axie an neva fed it for three months when i found him he looked better than when he was feeding him

C

claire

i went away for a week and didnt feed my axies in that time and they seemed fine.only problem is i came back to a tank full of eggs!lol.

A

anne-marie

Paul, have you decided what you will do with your axy when you go away?

C

cynthia

Paul - the feeder blocks you see are just plaster with shrimp pellets in them. They are gross I would avoid them.

There are automatic fish feeders that you could use. The ones with individual compartments for food. They could feed pelleted food if your axolotl eats pellets. I would set it to only feed once every 3 days and only a few pellets. You don't want to spoil the water with excess food while you are away.

You could board her at a vet clinic with detailed instructions.

You could hire a pet sitter.

P

paul

hi thanx for you suggestions. i found someone to go around at the one week mark and give her a couple of earthworms. hope this is enough. i will have to find somewhere/someone in sydney that i can board her with when i go away. hadnt thought of it before. again thankyou

K

karl

I used an automatic feeder last year & it worked a treat.i filled it with different types of dry food & pellets.its better than a feeder block.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1