Axolotl babies and daphnia

J

joan

Can axolotl babies burst from eating too much?
rofl.gif
They had eaten all their daphnia, and had been a day and a half without food before the next shipment came in (The Bug Farm is awesome! overnight shipping!) and they're all filled to the brim with daphnia. I don't think their fat little tummies can hold much more!

On a similar note. I bought whiteworms, and was wondering how big the babies should be before I introduce them.

I usually introduce blackworms (i imagine whiteworms would be similar) when they get front legs. they don't eat them right away, but with blackworms at least they can hang around in the water until the "kids" get interested.

-e

Well, I put in a couple last night, and there are none to be seen. Evidently whiteworms are yummy!

They are also fatty, so be careful how much of them you feed.

i feed my larvae bloodworm now mixed with some of the big adult daphnia and they seem to like them. they also stay in the water til they are eaten (i think...ive never noticed them dead).

whiteworms are usually fatty because they're fed bread soaked in milk. Right now, I'm feeding them water-soaked bread, but plan to switch to high-protein baby cereal as soon as I can afford it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back