Not eating

K

kylie

got two new axolotl's on friday, the bigger one will eat but the smaller one doesnt seem to eat.. he doesnt seem to notice the food wriggling on his nose, he gets fed meal worms and ive had no problems with them before.. other than that he seems fine he just doesnt seem to eat enough, any ideas?

Try earthworms. I've found that mealworms "tickle" my axolotls and they refuse to eat them. Mealworms have tough coatings that are nondigestible. Earthworms are also more nutritious than mealworms.

How nutritious are earthworms? I've heard that they are a good staple. Also, I am not sure how many to feed to my axies. They are about 7" now and gobble down however many worms I give them. The worms I caught are somewhat small. Is there a ratio of worm to axolotl that would serve as a good meal?

thanks.. but just found it strange that my other one in the same tank eats them quiet happily and the one i had before that loved them, this guys just not too sure

kylie - Meal worms should only be fed as a treat if ever and before feeding them you should crush or remove the meal worms mouth . Their mouth can cause internal damage to your axolotl. I too would suggest feeding earth worms. Please read the links that Joan posted for you. Your smaller axolotl may just not like them or is having problems digesting them.

You may also want to check out
http://www.axolotl.org/feeding.htm

Maggie - There really is not a ratio that I am aware of. Earth worms range in size and thickness. Axolotls eat different amounts. My smallest axolotl eats about twice as much as my larger ones.

My axolotls range in size from 7 to 8.5 inches. Currently the larger ones eat three 3 to 4 inch slender earth worms every other day. My 7 inch axolotl will eat 5 sometimes 6.

my axies dont like earthworms *sob* im so gutted!! i went digging in the compost (ewww) and got about 20 for the four of them and they either ran away from them or grabbed them then spat them back out! i want them to eat this as a staple as its free and good for them. should i just feed them nothing but worms until they get so hungry they eat? id feel so cruel doing that to them though!

Sharn, compost worms can have a bad taste to them. Mine also don't like compost worms, but love european/canadian nightcrawlers (or just those found in the ground, and not in the compost). I tried the starvation method, but they still refused. So now I go and buy them worms. They're easy to maintain. I use topsoil and cocoa fiber, and a few spritz of water twice a week. Throw in some fruit and veggie shavings (watch for fungus!) and you've got yourself a worm farm. However, the nightcrawlers won't reproduce like compost worms will.

went out an got some blood worms today to see if that makes any difference in him eating, hopefully it was just that he didnt like the meal worms nothing really serious.. will feed him the first time tonight with them and let you know how it goes

he can't have liked the meal worms too much.. tried him on the blood worms tonite, he ate two small peices.. but its a start and at least we are getting some where and he is actually eating now.. will try him on the meal worms occasionally to see if there is any change and give them to my larger one once a week or so

Glad to hear that he ate something.
happy.gif

he's all alrite now.. occasionally he will even eat the meal worms now and takes the food quiet easily unlike before which was a mission trying to get him to eat but got the problem all sorted now and he is starting to grow a lil now

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back