Axies Only Want Live Food, No Pellets!

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Michael Shrom
I think I've got my Axies spoiled! They won't eat the pellets from Indiana U! A couple have tried them, but they just spit them out or crush them & spit out the remains. They only want frozen bloodworms or earthworms. Any ideas how to get them to eat the pellets? I only gave them pellets this morning & they wouldn't eat them. They were still there tonight when I gave them some bloodworms.

Thanks!

Sometimes an animal will become acustomed to a certain diet. You have 2 options: you can either continue to feed them the diet you are currently feeding, or you can feed nothing but the new food until they take it. Unless the old food source is unavailable or there is some other difficulty with it, I'd suggest the former, as the latter can cause some complications.

I was kinda afraid of that! Oh well, guess it's not a big deal feeding them this way, it's just that the pellets would have been easier & probably a little cleaner.
Thanks for getting back to me!

Mike

I got some axie pellets from axolotl science the other day an there just a bit bigger than a pin head they seem to like them but i think it give them dihorrea thers <font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font> from one end of the tank to theother an before now ive neva seen them defecate an now they wont stop must be some good fibre might have em for breakie instead of weatbix Is this normal

A bit of training might help. Let them get hungry for a day or two, then drop the pellets, one at a time, right in front of their noses. If they are good and hungry, they'll grab them as they fall. Or you can try using a long tongs to feed them single pellets. When they are not used to pellets, they usually won't eat them off the bottom right away, but they eventually learn. As for spitting them out, they need to adjust to the new taste, it may take a few tries.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back